Taos

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:33 AM
Karen

Taos

Going to be in Taos next week. Any recommendations for restaurants (love all kinds of food; 'where the locals go' would be preferred). Also, any 2-3 hours hikes nearby? Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 08:55 AM
gb

I went to Taos in June. We stayed at the Comfort Inn on the south edge of town. Just to the north of the hotel was a little restaurant. Sorry I don't know the name. But, every night the locals lined up for Mexican food. So, we ate their and it was great. Small place on the west side of the road. Served alcohol, but not really a bar. I think they had outside tables too.
If next week is like this week, I'd skip the hike and take a river trip. It is so hot here.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:16 AM
Lexma90

The bar of the Taos Inn is (or used to be) a real locals' place; it has good green chili too. As does the Chili Connection; we go there 1-2 times each time we visit Taos. The restaurant at the Taos Inn (can't remember the name of it) is good, and so is the Appletree (or Applewood, or something like that) Inn.

There are not a huge number of hikes in the area, and the former poster is right - it may be too hot. Several years ago, we took one hike that started from the base of the ski resort, and another that was further north of Taos. Go to a bookstore in Taos and find a hiking book there for better suggestions than mine!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:09 PM
Mike

Stear clear of the Taos Inn and anything to do with it. Also, don't try walking down the strip too far from your hotel unless you like getting harrassed by local gang banger thugs and love the sound of pounding gangster rap music blasting down the block.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:21 PM
Paul

Definitely go to the Apple Tree restaurant on Bent Street. Very good stuff!