Tampa? Where to stay?

Jan 17th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Tampa? Where to stay?

I will be traveling to Tampa for a weekend in March with my 2year old and wife. We will visit Busch Gardens, but I have read that the area isn't the best. Where would you recommend we stay? By the airport? In the Busch Gardens area, even though not the best, in the business district? or somewhere else.

Thanks.
David.
Jan 17th, 2004, 08:10 PM

How much do you want to spend? The best place is the Grand Hyatt on the bay, but it isn't cheap. What great is?
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Patrick,

What other hotels are in the area of the Grand Hyatt. At $245 a night this is high. I rather pay $150 or below, but can be a little flexible.
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:45 PM
OliveOyl

Rocky Point is quite near the Hyatt and on the water (Tampa Bay) also. You have a choice there of Sailport, Doubletree Suites, Holiday Inn Express, or Chase Suites. If you are flying in, these are all convenient to the airport as well as offering a nice view.

If you would really like the Hyatt, you might venture a 4* bid in the airport/Westshore zone on Priceline. Take a look at BiddingForTravel prior to bidding on Priceline. Not sure if you'd have any luck as PCLN availability is steadily shrinking, but it may be worth a try.

Are you interested in the beach as well? If that's the case, I'd try to stay out there if possible (anywhere from Clearwater down to St Pete Beach) and take a day to go to Busch. March is a busy period though, and price could be a factor there as well.

Jan 18th, 2004, 01:48 PM
OliveOyl

On second thought, with the Hyatt.com rate at $245, I doubt seriously there is any PCLN availability at all. No harm in trying, but I doubt it will produce results.