Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Priceline hotel - midtown east (near Grand Central)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I am going to bid for the first time ever on priceline I think. I would like to ultimately end up with the grand hyatt new York (near Grand Central). I though a bid of $75 to $85 would be good to start with. My question is this, what other hotels might I end up with instead of the Grand Hyatt? If anyone has any help that would be great!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Go to www.biddingfortravel.com and read through the site. It's a great resource for Priceline. It lists the hotels for each city by area and star rating. Plus people post winning bids so you get a sense of what the going rate is and what hotels are coming up.

For the record, my brother used it to try and get the Grand Hyatt and ended up with the Hilton.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:31 AM
GoTravel

I wonder how he ended up with the Hilton? If you are trying for the Grand Hyatt, that is a Midtown East bid. Both the NY Hilton and Hilton Times Square are both Midtown West bids.

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:41 AM

Not sure... at the time, I had not yet used Priceline. I know he told me he kept getting rejected, so he probably added a zone or started a new bid with Midtown East. It was the NY Hilton.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:41 AM

Please do go read the hotel list and all the other guidance available on www.biddingfortravel.com Although their list of 4-star hotels for MTE includes 5 places, in practice most people get the Grand Hyatt (I think puddy's brother must have added a zone to get a free rebid).

BUT BUT BUT biddingfortravel also has a special posting of an advisory for people thinking of bidding on MTE warning them that they'll probably get the Grant Hyatt but that it has gotten lots of very bad reviews from Priceline participants.

The past half-dozen reported winning bids for the Grand Hyatt have been $75, 75, 75, 95, 85, and 120. That last, high bid was only 5 days in advance.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 03:06 PM

My husband got the Radisson on Lexington and 48th when bidding on a priceline "vacation package" which included bidding for flight and hotel at the same time. He picked the Radisson, thinking it would be a nice place, as were other Radisson's we've stayed at.

This hotel is ok but not great. We could not check in when we arrived, even though it was after check-in time (other reviews of this hotel frequently mention this problem). The lobby was crowded with people trying to check in and out. The room was VERY small, as was the bathroom, and neither were always as clean as I would have preferred. The room was usually not cleaned until after 2 or 3 p.m. It's noisey outside and that did keep me awake sometimes. The staff was not very friendly or helpful and actually got surley with us on the phone b/c we asked for a washcloth--b/c none were left when the room was cleaned. This was my first trip to NYC, so I realize that some of these things can happen at any hotel there.

One good thing about this hotel--location. It was barely 2 blocks from Grand Central Station and it was extremely easy to get to the subway, restaurants, etc.