Reload this Page >

Tampa/St. Pete Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:25 AM
joseph cameron

HELP: If anyone knows a great place to eat, please let me know. We know about Salt Rick Grill, Don Cesar, etc. - all good. But are there others? Since we have relatives down there, we go down 5-6 times a year. HELP - we are literally running out of good places to eat. Beach area or inland - any good ideas would be greatly appreciated. Heading down June 8, and again June 23, so not much time. Whatever you can suggest - thanks, Joseph

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:47 AM
Melinda

Bern's Steak House for Tampa

Wine Cellar up in Indian Rocks Beach

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 12:27 PM
CMcDaniel

Boohiss Berns, I've given that opinion before, but Side Berns, yes, great reviews. That's on Howard in Hyde Park. There's a new Thai restaurant in that area too...name escapes me but if you are interested in that cuisine, I'll get it for you.

I recall your earlier posts on this topic...unfortunately not much has happened on the restaurant scene here since. Le Bordeaux is still a great choice and Mise en Place--you knew of them already. As the next two are both my husband's restaurants I even hate to mention them but both get excellent reviews (check Zagat's guide for this area) Armani's, expensive, northern Italian, and Oystercatchers, seafood.

I'm going to murder the spelling here, but Euphemia Haye in Sarasota is great, and Beach Bistro. We've found a new (to us) place for lunch on Anna Maria Island...wonderful al fresco dining right on the beach...Sand Bar Restaurant. Good food, good service, AND wonder of wonders, good prices. Owned by former Gov Chiles son.

Hopefully we'll have had some rain before you get here. Mandatory watering restrictions have resulted in brown landscaping all around, very sad--we've had 3.1 inches of rain since Jan 1!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 02:00 PM
KNoel

We ate at a place called The Hurricane (I think that's right) at St. Pete's beach a few years ago. It was good!

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 05:59 PM
CMcDaniel

Joseph, just heard of a new place opening this week in Tampa, called "6 Tables" (that's all the room they have),fixed prix menu of $60 with two seatings, 6 PM and 9 PM. Same owners have a restaurant in Dunedin that has gotten rave reviews from friends.

Another selection which we haven't yet tried but hear is good is Bone Fish Grill on the Pinellas side of the bridges, though I'd have to check on which town.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 06:43 PM
Dee

Hi, I live not to far from St. Pete. If you like Italian one of the best places that we have had Italian at is a place called Donattelo's in Tampa on Dale Mabry telephone (813) 875-6660. We have been there a couple of times and have never been disappointed. My in-laws who are a bit picky and don't like many restaurants love the place. Service is black tie all male waiters. Top notch, and atmosphere is nice too. It is a little expensive thought but if you are looking for a really nice restaurant with good food and service you won't go wrong with this place. Also if you like steak my husband and I like to go to Don Schulers Steak house in Tampa (813) 286-4366. Never been disappointed there either. If you are looking for a really good square pizza pie and italian food but not real fancy place Michelles Italian Restaurant 937-7777 in Palm Harbor is the place. Pizza is just like up north. Chinese would be Sechwan Imperial in Palm Harbor on U.S. 19 789-9672 All the food is really fresh, reasonable, and nice size portions. Hope these help. If you need any furter info you can e-mail me.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 06:49 PM
Dee

Its me again thought of another one Also if you like Spanish a really nice place is Tio Pepe' in Clearwater on 60 799-3082 Atmosphere was real spanish style and food was really good.

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 03:44 PM
Dale

Hi, Most of the other responses were for some pretty top end restaruants, so here are a few very nice but inexpensive places you can check out. Don Cesar and Salt Rock are both on the St. Pete/Clearwater side of the Bay, so a few more restaurants in that area are (on Gulf Blvd) Ballyhoo, Scandia, Hungry Fisherman. Just in a little bit from the Gulf on Seminole Blvd is a new nice cafe The Boulevard Bistro, just near 86Av in Seminole, and just above 102Av and on Seminole Blvd is Sophia's (inexpensive italian/greek/pizza, but verry good). If you exit Gulf Blvd at Madeira Beach and follow Bay Pines Blvd to the intersection of Park Street (Target/Don Pablos) and take a right, just down on the right is a great carrib/jamaican restaurant called Saffrons, very good reviews. Hope this helps and that you have a great time

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Jospeh Cameron

Thanks to all of you who posted information, and believe me, I will use ALL of it. My next time down is June 23, and I've promised my in-laws some decent meals out. Thanks to you, I can fulfill my promise. By the way, if anyone is looking for a reasonably priced place in Treasure Island, call Il Tucano, a small place on Guld Blvd. just across from the beach. Apartments run from $39 to $72 per day, with kitchens. And the owners are a charming couple from Italy who live on site. They are just now finishing a new pool, which I had the pleasure of swimming in Sunday. If you'd like more details, send me an e-mail. No, I do NOT have a financial interest - it's just that this is a neat place run by good people, and perfect for both families and singles who value a dollar. I've stayed here for years, and now it has new ownership trying to make a go of it. Thanks again, Joe

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 04:44 AM
Mary

Don't forget Guppy's on Indian Rocks Beach or the Beachcomber on Clearwater Beach. Also, check out www.gulfbeaches-tampabay.com. It's the official chamber of commerce website, and as a local, most of the restaurants listed are good.

Hope this helps.