Search

Tampa or San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Nancy

Tampa or San Diego

My family and I live in the Midwest and we are debating upon whether we should go to Tampa/St. Petersburg region or the San Diego area later this summer (we've not been to either place). Right now, the family is split in half.

Our primary concern is having a variety of activities and some great beaches. Cost and vacation length are not factors, and there won't be any young children (the youngest is 16). I know this isn't much to go on, but it seems everyone in the family has their own reason for wanting to go to one or the other place. Personally, I don't care...I was hoping someone could help push me in either direction so I can convince the others! Thanks for any help!

Nancy

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 10:03 AM
betsy

I'd pick San Diego. Personally, Florida in the summer is too hot and humid for me! San Diego temps will be in the 70s, with no humidity! The MTV summer beach house in located at Mission Beach in SD this summer and is crawling with teens and college age kids. For other activities, you've got Sea World, the zoo, and LA isn't too far away either. I've only been to Tampa/St.Pete in winter so I have no idea of what it's like in summer. St. Pete Beach and beaches south seemed to be quieter whereas Clearwater Beach was the place to be for older kids. Anyone else have any ideas?? Have fun with whichever destination you choose!

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 10:15 AM
Maury

San Diego, hands down (and I checked with my teenagers before responding)...

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:56 AM
John

I live in LA so I have visited San Diego numerous times in the summer. I also have visited Tampa in August. If you like high humidity with you 90+ degree temperature, I'd go with Tampa. There is plenty to do there. But there is lots to do in San Diego and you don't have the nasty humidity. Sea World, SD Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Coronado Island, Old Town SD, Tijuana MX, swimming, fishing, golf, watersports, Padres baseball, Del Mar horseracing, and great fish tacos at Rubio's. My choice is SD.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 09:01 AM
sally

San Diego hand down---Florida--- YUKE!!!

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 09:40 AM
David

two words: San Diego.
Florida is hot, humid, and really when you get right down to it, BORING.
San Diego is none of those. San Diego has the beach (which is the only thing in common with Tampa), but Mission Bay is like beach in any part of Florida. Plus, there's also a great zoo, great views, great desert to visit, Mexico is close by. But like I said to start with - Two Words: San Diego.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 10:51 AM
Nancy

Thank you all so much for your help. You've made things a lot easier for me! I now have some "ammo" to help sway the group into a decision. I appreciate everyone taking the time to post.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 11:08 AM
buh?

Sally....YUKE? Whazzat...yuke? Californian for ...yuck?

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 11:13 AM
Jeanette

We've done Florida many times because of family visits etc. Please, go to San Diego. My "just" 20 year old will vouche that there is no comparison. He used to like Florida, until he went out West. Our best vacation ever was spent mostly in San Diego area. We had lots of different ages and EVERYONE loved it.