Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anything to do between SF & Monterey Bay area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 10:25 AM
Marlena

Trying to plan my road trip up the coast -- Wondering if there's anything interesting to stop for north of Monterey & South of San Fran? Santa Cruz? Big Basin Park?

Thanks in advance for advice/suggestions!

Marlena

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 12:54 PM
SFSally

I would stop at the pier in Santa Cruz.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 06:35 AM
Joyce

Big Basin is great for seeing Redwood trees. It's not too crowded and has a nice circular trail that's not too long (as well as miles of real hiking trails).

A real treat for nature lovers is Ano Nuevo State Beach, home of elephant seals. The best time to visit is during mating season from Dec to April (when reservations would be essential), but it's worthwhile any time of the year. In order to see the seals, you walk about a mile and a half to the beach. You feel as if you are part of a National Geographic nature show; it's truly wonderful.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 07:46 AM
Michele

There are also a few places to eat along that way--we've stopped in a town called Davenport for breakfast. It's a small place with a nice view....

I'd second the suggestion of Big Basin if you're into hiking and seeing the natural sights. The redwoods are beautiful and it's shady on a hot day.

Another cute town is Half Moon Bay. It has a small town center and a few good coffee shops and restaurants. One of the better ones is Pasta Moon.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 01:00 PM
kam

Just north of Half Moon Bay in Moss Beach is the Moss Beach Distillery. Nice seafood and a resident ghost! Don't go for the Sunday brunch, though, it's very overrated. You can also eat downstairs on the porch facing the ocean---they supply blankets to wrap up in.