Search

TAMPA -- Help With Hotel Close to Convention Center

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAMPA -- Help With Hotel Close to Convention Center

Hello,
I have an exam scheduled to take place at the Tampa Convention Center next month (December 20 and 21). Testing starts at 7:00 am each day (yikes!), so I'm looking for a hotel that's quite close to the convention center. I'll have a car, but I just want to be sure I don't get into any morning traffic. I'd prefer to only have to drive a few minutes to get there.

I'm looking for somewhere close, clean, and hopefully not too expensive. I also know that this is the holiday season, so multiple suggestions are welcome in case places are already booked up.

Thank you so much in advance!
Carol
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM

The two places that are close will be expensive..the Waterside Marriott and the Hyatt Regency. They are both within walking distance of the convention center. The Courtyard Marriott on Cass Street is about a five minute drive from the convention center (I would not walk to the convention center from there) and is less expensive. There is also a Hampton Inn in Ybor, which is also about a 10 minute drive to the convention center. They are usually not expensive. I can get phone numbers for you if you can't find them on the net.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:26 AM

CarolM, the suggestions for hotels in downtown are good ones but you will likely find them to be pricey. I suggest you check into the Amerisuites that is near the International Plaza mall. At 7A you will not encounter any traffic, and you will be exiting before you hit "malfunction junction" (I-275 @ I-4) which is currently being worked on. The Amerisuites is about a 10 minute drive and another poster booked it recently for $69/night and said it was fine.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 05:44 PM

The Radisson Riverwalk is within walking distance of the convention center as well. It's not a fantastic hotel but it's not bad at all. It's probably an 8-10 minute walk, not hard to get to at all. Now, their parking stinks at the Radisson, it's all valet and it can take some time to get your car out, but if you are walking in the mornings, you'll be fine.

I agree with TG that at that time in the morning, you shouldn't have much traffic if you want to drive over from International Plaza. In fact, you could stay at any of the hotels on Rocky Point and be at the Convention Center in 10-15 minutes.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:38 PM

CarolM....just another suggestion....if you've ever used Priceline there are a few Downtown hotels that come up in that area. Go to Biddingfortravel.com, then look up Florida/Tampa. Look at the hotel list. It has the Downtown Hyatt and someone recently got it for $65.
Good luck and happy testing...if there is such a creature!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:03 PM

highbay, good idea. nothing worse than navigating the highways (no pun intended) at 7A. Priceline is a great idea.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:06 PM
OO

Carol, the pre-Christmas period is actually a slow time for Tampa hotels. You should be able to get one through Priceline at a pretty good rate. Just learn the system through biddingfortravel.com before attempting to bid.

I would also add the Wyndham Harbour Island to the Hyatt and Marriott list of good, close, downtown hotels. Marriott Waterside is closest to the convention center (across the street), followed by Wyndham, then Hyatt, but all 3 are easy walking distance.

No point in driving, risking getting lost when time is off the essence, when you can probably get a good hotel at a great price, and within an easy walk of the convention center to boot.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions. I ended up going with the Hyatt and got a decent price. I figured that it was better to pay a little more and be within walking distance... I just can't afford for there to be any chance I might be late for the exam. Anyway, thanks again for the great info!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Been away from the computer...good luck on your exam!