Taking Wrapped Gifts with You

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that the holidays are upon us, does anyone know if you still cannot take wrapped Christmas presents on the plane with you? I know for a while the security screeners with unwrapping them. My family is all getting together for Thanksgiving and I'd like to take their Christmas gifts with me (I'll be driving) so they can take them home with them--and some of them will be flying.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Dan

You can take wrapped gifts with you. The screeners can also unwrap them. They may or may not choose to do so depending on what the x-ray machines show!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:39 AM

As far as I know, wrapped gifts will still be unwrapped by the screeners. You can check the tsa.gov website to be sure, but my advice is to send the gifts on other air transportation, i.e., UPS and FedEx.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:44 AM

Better yet, send all your wrapped gifts to me and I'll take care fo them.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:54 AM
xaimimgr

Has the threat of terroroism gone down that they wouldn't need to unwrap or check gifts???

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 01:24 PM

I flew to NY last weekend and had a wrapped gift IN my carry-on-....it went right thru x=ray with no problem..HOWEVER, it was only a book and some lingerie...

I think if you are taking metal toys or electrical gadgets, you still may have them opened....

this is just my opinion.......
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:29 PM

I've called most of the major airlines with this question (I'm in corporate travel) and all of them said you cannot bring wrapped gifts thru security. TSA will unwrap them for inspection if you do and you'll end up spending way more time than needed at the checkpoint. *{J}*
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:32 PM

For those who posted mesages saying you can take wrapped gifts thru security, please go to http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1043.xml on the TSA's website. It clearly says: "Please refrain from taking wrapped presents to the airport. TSA is recommending that you either ship wrapped packages ahead of time or wrap on arrival. If the package alarms, TSA will need to unwrap it to investigate the source of the alarm." *{J}*
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:37 PM

Massport (Boston - Logan International Airport) has been running public service announcements prior to Thanksgiving rush. What these say about gifts is if they are wrapped, the TSA screeners MAY unwrap them if they see anything suspicious, regardless of whether or not they are in checked bags or carryons.

I think it would be easier for your family members (and I understand more time and expense for you) if you shipped them to their homes. Unless the gifts are small in size, who knows if they will even have room in their luggage to cart them home.

PS - I wish I was so organized as to have completed my Chrsitmas shopping by now - nice job!
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:49 PM

OK, here is the way I got around this once, I will try again this next trip.
I wrap the gift in colored tissue then put it in a gift bag. Nothing is taped shut and the security people don't have to do a big unwrapping/tearing things open deal..they can just look inside.
I carry everything in a carry-on because I don't want to gift some dishonest baggage handler.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:47 AM

Personally, I would advise shipping the gifts ahead. Sure, it does cost some money (as opposed to the "free" checked baggage) but it is less hassle and it is a lot easier to arrive at your destination and have the gifts waiting for you!
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:56 AM

The last time I did this, I checked an oversized suitcase that was probably half gifts. Then filled it up with what I got and checked it home. I did not have fragile or irreplacable items in there though, those I would carry on then wrap once I arrived. The clothes helped keep it all secure and packed.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:15 AM

I'd just ship the gifts through the mail - no worries about the wrapping at security or your family having to cart them onto the plane. Planes will be full over the holidays and carry on luggage may be a problem in general.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:36 PM
LN

You can go to UPS.com and select your own shipment; I selected 3 day ground transportation using my own box, printed my mailing label and paid for my shipping by credit card. It was less than $10.

Then you can take your package to your local Office Depot (that accepts UPS) and send those gifts off.

It was quick and easy!