Taking our own boat to martha's Vineyard

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any tips on taking our 27 foot boat over to Martha's Vineyard. We usually launch from Somerset,MA but might consider another location, maybe launching from New Bedford would be better. Any info would be appreicated.Even where we could dock the boat, etc.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you can certainly launch from many places, including New Bedford, Falmouth, etc. depending mostly on how comfortable you are making the crossing and choosing which pathway to take depending on your expertise and what your boat has for equipment

- the most important thing would be planning a good day for the crossing and if you are planning on having dock space at one of the marina's you would need to make a reservation unless you are hoping to catch a mooring just for a bit of time, and some of those are first come first serve, but in the summer I would call ahead - especially if you want to spend the night or be guaranteed space even during the day.

here is a tiny url link to all the phone numbers of the different harbors that could accomodate you as well as rules and regs and a link to NOAA's explorer for waterway info for navigation which should hellp you in your planning -

http://tinyurl.com/sxnoa

your choice might also depend on what you want to do once you get there as far as being able to go to other areas or if you are interested in staying in one area. For example, if you are interested in overnight, you should know while Oak Bluffs is easy to walk to many restaurants, shops, etc it is also one of the noisier areas to dock in overnight in my opinon; with Vineyard haven, Menemsha and Edgartown being far quieter - and whether you want easy access to showers, etc.

All that is on the web link I gave above. Hope this helps. oh - y ou might also want to check out the link to the calendar of events in case you don't want to be there during particular activities, like this weekend is the annual shark tournament at oak bluffs so that area is crazy busy this weekend with boats competing in the tournament, activities at night, etc...