Search

Tahoe Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:25 PM
dee

Tahoe Trip

I.ve been reading all the great info on Tahoe area restaurants and things to do.I have one question. How long a drive is is to drive the entire perimeter of the lake?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:42 PM
BillJ

I haven't done this in many many years, I will guess 2 to 3 hours. In the summer, you will be slowed considerably in the congested areas around beaches, etc. You could make a whole day of it if you stopped at places like Emerald Bay, beaches etc.

Hopefully, someone with more recent experience will respond.

Dont' forget to take in Truckee, where you will find the greatest chocolate shop in the Western US, I bet!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Suzie

I know alot of people consider this when they go there but there are so many nice places to stop that giving a drive time for just going around in one day doesn't seem practical. You will stop at many places along the way especially on the west side where there is more development. Because of the nature of the east side (more cliffy, less beach access right from the road) you will go from about Incline to Zypher coave with few if any stops.

The lake is actually 72 miles around with a speed limit average of about 40 miles per hour. You'll go much slower in many spots and a little faster in a few places on the east side. I don't know anyone who has driven this without stopping. Who could!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:12 AM
janis

Actually - there are several "Must stop" places on the east side. The best of course is Sand Harbor which is the prettiest and most photogenic area on the whole lake - even more than Emerald Bay which is fabulous. Sand Harbor is worth 30 minutes to an hour by itself.

Along the east side there are few developments but lost of lake access and it is a lot less crowded.

If you stop just at the very basic places - Kings Beach, Tahoe City, Emerald Bay/Eagle Falls/Vikingsholm, Zephyr Cove, and Sand Harbor plan on an entire day to circle the lake.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Suzie

Yes Janis is right Sand Harbor is very nice. I just think of it in the vacinity of Incline and after that unless you are willing to hike down to a beach (clothing optional) the east side has less access and is way less developed. If you start at south shore and go around the lake from west to east by the time you leave Sand Harbor you'll barely make it to Zypher cove before it closes!!! . You'll want to stop everywhere. The reason you want to do the west to east is so you are on the lake side of the road. Don't be a chicken when you get to Emerald Bay either, after all there are guardrails!!! Have fun!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:09 PM
mike

Dee--
Tahoe is a great place, but if you want to see some different areas I would get a home base and plan day trips. Driving around the lake would take all day and I for one would be ready to put a bullet in my head by the end of the trip. There is traffic, usually some roadwork and I don't consider it a leisurely drive at all.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:46 PM
dee

I guess I should have mentioned that we will be staying one night in or around Tahoe City and one night in South Tahoe. I was just curious as to the time it would take to drive around, not counting stops. Thanks for the advice.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:36 PM
gail

What no one mentioned the Ponderosa Ranch. (Is it still open?)Really my favorite spot is the Cal Neva!The drive is not my favorite part either. We always plan our outings remebering once is enough.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Jan

It should take around 45 minutes to an hour from Tahoe City to southshore. We usually go the southern route through Meeks Bay and past DL Bliss Park. Bad traffic can make that trip considerably longer. While I think it's a shorter distance than the northern route past Kings Beach and Incline Village, the northern route is sometimes less congested.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Eliz

Definitely stop by the Edgewood Golf Course in Stateline - they have an amazing restaurant.