Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

T-Storms-WI, IN, MI, IL - Please advise...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Boo

We are headed for Chicago and the area surrounding Lake Michigan. The weather forecast shows possible T-Storms throughout next week, when I thought the weather would be clear, hot and humid. I'm afraid our trip will be ruined due to the weather, because many of our planned activites are outdoors!! I.e. Architectural tour, Navy Pier, Dune Buggy Ride, Street Fair, the Dells... Should we consider indoor activites? Now What?

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Boo

...or should we cancel trip???

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 09:02 AM
xxx

I thought there was a remote chance you were serious the first go round but since it's pretty clear you're a troll, my suggestion is you not worry about the weather. Go to Chicago and if there is a thunderstorm, take a boat onto Lake Michigan. Carry a large metal pole with you. Stand up in the boat and wait for a once in a lifetime experience.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Mrs. O'L

On the chance you are serious: Forecasts a week ahead can't be more than gross generalities. In this case, the forecasters can't decide what the jetstream is going to do, so they're hedging their bets.

Go go go go go go go.

Watch the weather the night before each day and plan accordingly -- remember, what happens before noon may have nothing to do with what it will be like by dinner time. FYI - you can sit in protected part of the boat for the archit. tour, etc. Dune Buggy?????

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:16 AM
xxx

Hmmn. All the states you list, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, and Illinois all boarder Lake Michigan. I'm not sure if you realize it or not but Lake Michigan produces what is called "Lake effect storms". In the summer when hot humid air crosses cooler air, thunderstorms occur. These will probably be short spurts. Go on your trip and take rain ponchos.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Boo

No, I'm not a troll and yes, I'm serious! But, hey--Thanks for the metal pole tip, x. Dune buggy rides in Michigan - Grand Haven...Didn't know about the Lake and I seriously did not want to be stuck inside when we are first time visitors to these places. Any more weather insight/proper preparation would be much appreciated! I am seriously considering traveling elsewhere, unless it is true that the thunderstorms don't typically last all day/days.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 01:24 PM
amy

Boo,

GO! I just looked up the weather in Chicago on weather.com ... Between now and next Sunday ... they show Monday with "isolated thunderstorms" ... Tuesday with "few showers" and Thursday with "scattered thunderstorms".

In my experience of living in Chicago for 28 years, I take scattered, isolated and few ... to mean that I probably WON'T get rained on ... and if I do, it may only be for 15 minutes or so. Sounds like a pretty good week to me!

Having said that, no one has ever been able to predict Chicago's weather a week ahead of time ... so I wouldn't necessarly pay attention to weather forecasts anyway.

Where else would you go? I think you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere in the U.S. where you wouldn't get maybe a day or two of light rain or scattered showers over the course of a week ... maybe Arizona?

I'd say you're lucky to come here when the weather is in the 70's and 80's .... it will be gorgeous! I few weeks ago it was hot and humid and in the 90's ... it made you not even want to go outside!

Just bring an umbrella and deal with what comes. It is absolutely a picture perfect day here today.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Mrs. O'L

No, they don't last all day and "scattered" or "isolated" means it could be raining in Glenview and brilliantly sunny in the Loop. Risk it, Triscuit -- you sound like a West Coaster who has no experience with thunderstorms.

You'll be FINE and you'll miss a great trip if you don't go.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:02 PM
zz

Good Lord lady, what would you do at home if it was going to storm. The same thing works elsewhere. bring an umbrella, raincoat, poncho. Maybe a hat?

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Lisa

No one is really able to predict the weather around here. Just roll with it and fun will be had be all.......

If you're really that afraid of a little rain, go to Minneapolis. The entire city is connected by skyways and you wouldn't have to worry about getting a drop on you. But it wouldn't be as fun as Chicago!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Boo

Thanks, Amy, Lisa--just the boost I needed --appreciate your advice.

ok, Mrs. O'l, I admit it-- we're coming from the West Coast.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 03:24 PM
havkhones

You said Dune Buggies in Grand Haven. You are more than likely mistaken on that point. I live in that area and am not aware of any local areas to ride dune buggies legally. the dunes are a fragile environment.

Dune buggies and great riding are available about one hour north at Silver Lake, which is a lake on the lee side of Lake Michigans dunes. You will love it there and in Grand Haven.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 03:33 PM
havkhones

You asked for weather insight and proper preperation. The weather can change in an hour here. As for storms, at this time of year they are usually late in the day or at night on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan. They will be hit and miss and shouldnt be too big of an inconvenience. if you get a chance, try to see a storm come in off of lake Michigan, from a safe place obviously.

As for preperation....Bring sunglasses, sunblock, shorts, swim suits, tee shirts and light clothing. Throw in some sweatpants and a sweatshirts for the occasional cool evening that we can get this time of year. Good walking and hiking shoes are a must for some of the exploring available.

Dont worry about the weather, it changes too much to be bad for any length of time this time of the year.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 04:09 PM
kam

Boo, I live on the west coast as well and Chicago rainstorms are nothing like we have here where it goes on and on forever. Chicago storms in the summer tend to be violent and over in about half an hour. So, go have a cup of coffee and the weather will change quickly. I lived in Chicago for 30 years and thought this was normal back then. Actually, many times the storms occur when a front goes through and then the temp and humidity go down. It can be a good thing. Enjoy,.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 04:57 PM
xxx

Hey Boo,

xxx here. Apologies for the crack about electrocuting yourself on Lake Michigan. Forgot it rains differently on the West Coast.

You've received mostly (except for me and a couple of other cranks) good advice here. Weather here is changeable. TStorms are a function of heat and humidity and tend to be strong but brief. Don't sweat it (at least in Chicago) as there's plenty to do here indoors and out.

Have a great trip!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Boo

Thanks for the second post x..and advice from others. Just chalk up my questions as those of a novice traveler. I do hope we enjoy the trip, Thunderstorms 'n all.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 02:51 PM
patg

Thunderstorms are just a part of life here. No one comes to Chicago for the weather, right? I saw a very interesting statistic that gave the odds of warm, pleasant weather in Chicago as one day in three.

My point (yes,I do have one) is that you need to develop some bad weather alternatives. The heat and drought have been tough this summer. Frankly, we could use a few good thunderstorms!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:21 AM
anon

She's going to that part of the country and didn't know there was a lake there. Give me a break.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Huh??

Anon -

Um, look at the very first sentence of Boo's very first post where she states "we are headed for Chicago and the area surrounding Lake Michigan." Are you on crack or just unable to read?