Swissotel, Downtown Chin's and Frankie J's

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Breeder's Cup Fan

Swissotel, Downtown Chin's and Frankie J's

We will be in Chicago for the Breeder's Cup the last weekend in October. We received the Swissotel on a Hotwire bid and was looking for recommendations on room locations to request (floor and view) and overall opinions.

Would also appreciate any reviews on the new downtown Bob Chin's and also experiences at Frankie J's. Thanks!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:26 PM
RacyT

At the Swisshotel, I personally would recommend a river or lake view -- we had our company Xmas party in the penthouse last year, and the views were gorgeous. The Palm is good -- steaks and immense lobster. I like the steak ceasar salad. I seem to remember having a breakfast meeting there and the buffet was impressive.

It's a nice property, some feel it's a little out of the way -- which it is, if you're focused completely on the Mag Mile shopping area.

One of the papers reviewed the new Chin's last week (I can't remember that far back -- I AM blond, ya know). From what I understand, he licensed the name out. Only the main dining area is open so far. Understand that I am not a huge fan of the original (especially if I were the one paying), so I don't feel as though I should comment. Big, loud, no reservations, lotsa folks.

Frankie Js is a little bar/restaurant on Clark that I pass every day on my way to work, and have noticed that they're currently hiring a waitress and they have a big fish tank. That's all I know, sorry. It looks fine for a drink or lunch, I don't know if I'd take my clients there for dinner, though.

HTH,
Racy

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Breeder's Cup Fan

I believe I'm referring to a different Frankie J's. This one is associated with a theater (Methadone) I believe it is located on Broadway. Thanks for your other information!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:26 AM
alex

I have not been to Frankie J's (4437 N. Broadway) but it gets very good reviews on metromix.com and have heard good things from friends. The Swissotel used to be a client of mine and it is a very nice place. I like the location and would definitely try to get a view of the lake if possible. You can walk down to lower Wacker in front of the Hyatt and then back up and you are right on Michigan Ave. It is a shortish walk to Navy Pier and they usually have an Octoberfest around that time of year. We are also going to Breeder's Cup - very excited!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:07 AM
yodel

The Swissotel is nice, and most rooms have an excellent view.

One recommendation: See if you can find a deal for an executive-level room, usually on the top two floors. You'll get a (good) free breakfast in the a.m. and free drinks and hors d'oevres in the p.m.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Warning

I think RacyT may be referring to Frankie Z's - which is on Clark and nowhere near Frankie J's. Take her advice with a grain of salt - I've seen her screw up a few places/names/addresses before (sorry, Racy).

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Kris

We tried the downtown Bob Chinn's last week for lunch. The food was good, the dining experience was totally different from the one in Wheeling. The menu is smaller in Chicago (an actual menu, not a two sided piece of paper like Wheeling), the atmosphere quieter and more for business lunches, you don't get your beverage in a plastic cup unless you are in the bar area. Only the main dining area is currently open, it appears that they will be adding a patio and another area downstairs at some point.

The prices are affordable for lunch, most of us had entrees between $9-14. I haven't seen the dinner menu but I know that prices increase sharply at the one in Wheeling after 3:00 pm.

I actually like the one in Wheeling better but I usually go for lunch on Sat or Sun when the prices are affordable and there isn't a wait.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Racy

I've had exactly ONE screw-up (regarding Pop's for Chanpagne, which you so impolitely bring up!). So I missed a few letters of the alphabet -- At least I'm sufficiently polite not to blast posters for thinking that Gino's East is still by Needless Markup and NU.

To make you happy, I will always use hedge words in my posts, so that every suggestion comes with a caveat that should be inherant with these (and all) boards.

Racy, who's having a bit of a bad day anyhow.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Chris

Spacy I mean Racy,
Whaaaaat? Your grammar is atrocious and you are definitely blond.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Racy

Blond, with the attention span of a gnat, and totally unable to type (thus the horrific spelling, not much aided my many formative years spent attending Montissori schools).

Not that THAT's settled, is it OK if I tell that guy not to try to walk up Orleans to North and Clybourne? I know Cabrini-Green ain't the bad boy it used to be, but that flight attendant DID get shot in the butt last year while riding down Division street in the airport shuttle...

Racy

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:09 PM
Angie

Frankie J's is a great Place to eat and a neat place to find under ground theatre not in the local main stream.

I loved the food and the comedy show I saw there but the neighborhood was something to desire.

If you don't mind the bum's frankies is an awsome place to go.