swipe card at hote

Jun 18th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

swipe card at hote

I am curious what Fodorites do with the hotel swipe card when you check out. Is there any information on the card other than the code? A friend mentioned she takes it home and cuts it up. Can the hotel reuse swipe cards?

Thanks for any information.
Jun 18th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Swipe card?
Jun 18th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Urban Legend regarding personal info on the room key card. Here's a link debunk this idea:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/hotelkey.asp

The key card machine is not even hooked up to the main computer so the info is not shared with the key card.

Jun 18th, 2006, 03:56 PM

This is just plain silly...
Jun 18th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Wow.

I had been travelling all over North America, Europe and Asia over the last 11 years and staying at various hotels with romm key cards.

I just turn them them in to the desk (or drop-off box) when I check out with the hope that they'll re-use and contribute to the world's recycling effort.
Jun 18th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the web site.....and other info.

Amie
Jun 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Well, I guess we'll just have to double check and make sure that that chain lock is secure on our front door every night.
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I work p/t at a hotel front desk, but my regular job is in I.T.

As Snopes points out, most often there is NO connection between the hotel computer and the key-card system, and when there is, the only info communicated is Room# and how many days.

The key stops working in the door on checkout date ... ours are programmed to stop at noon, even tho c/o is at 11am. Even before then, if the hotel creates a NEW key for that room, the old ones,, even tho not expired, no longer work unless the clerk chooses the "make copy" option. When someone tells me they need a new key, my first question is whether the key is merely locked in the room (I make a copy) or has been misplaced (I make a replacement that renders all other keys useless).

Yes, we re-use the keys. Maids bring them back if you leave them in the room. They are inexpensive, so if you feel the need to keep them as a souvenir or accidently take one home - keep it. But if you will leave it at the desk, we can reduce our overhead (and prices) and you have no worry about the key being used for a shopping spree.

Search this Thread