How secure are the keys to the rooms?

Jul 19th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Elliot Merril

How secure are the keys to the rooms?

I have always wondered how secure the cabin locks are? I mean, the cruiselines let people bring their key card home with them as a souvenir, so what is to stop someone returning on the ship and entering a room? Are the key cards imbedded with a different code each cruise, or do the ships just rotate the same codes between the cards they issue?

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Peter

They work just like the card keys you get for hotel rooms.

Jul 19th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Victor

Peter, the question wasn't really about how those keys work, but how secure they are. I know some hotels that have holes punched into plastic and they just rotate the cards after you check out and the computer reassigns the door that the card is to be used in for another door in the hotel. So in that hotel, the same cards will be used for years and although the door it will work in is rotated, trial and error will result in you being able to enter one room in that hotel with an old key.

Does anyone have any actual knowledge rather than assumptions?

Jul 19th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Peter

Victor - thanks for the history lesson. As far as I know, the door keys on cruises are the mag stripe or imbedded chip types and there are none of the hard cards with holes punched in them. Therefore, it works just like the hotel key cards where everything is computerized and very secure.

Jul 19th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Elliot,

Codes definitely are changed after each passenger leaves the ship. They also are changed if you lose your key (card).

Much to my surprise on one of my last cruises I mistakenly put my key into the wrong cabin and it opened.

So apparently you have no control if you are out of the cabin. If you are in the cabin you can turn the inside lock and the other unit that secures the door.

But if you use some common sense I do not believe some one will just go down the hall and try his/her key in every door to see if it opens them. They may get caught.

Paul

Jul 19th, 2002, 12:28 PM
masher

Most people don't cruise every few days so therefore it's highly unlikely that someone who had your cabin a week or two ago would come back so soon with the thought of raiding your cabin.
Lock your cabin from the inside when you are in it.
I am not sure but I think they are coded each week. If you are uncomfortable, check with the pursers desk and have them explain it to you.
You will have more chance of being robbed at the airport,etc. than on the ship.

Jul 19th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Paul Garrison

"have them explain it at the pursers desk"

Big freaking thanks. Listen up masher, if you don't actually know the answer to a post, don't bother replying to it. Don't feel obligated to answer a post just because it is a neat post.

Jul 19th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Paul Therault

The cabin that opened with my key I presume it was a one cabin thing but I certainly did not attempt to try other cabins. That one was too much excitment for me. I probably never ran so fast in my life.

Paul

Jul 20th, 2002, 05:19 PM
masher

TO ALL re/ CABIN LOCKS:
I just called Carnival--they (lock codes) are changed every week.
To my dear friend Paul Garrison, per the Carnival rep., should someone have a question, problem, concern, etc. regarding their cabin security, they should go to---guess--- the PURSERS desk.
I think that is what I had originally said, apparently causing you much angst.

Hope we can all sleep better on our cruises now, knowing Paul Therault won't be intruding upon us at all hours!!( just kidding you Paul)

Jul 21st, 2002, 10:06 AM
olivia

The cabin locks and key cards are secure. What a lot of passengers forget to do is to make 100% certain that your cabin door is 200% closed.
They have a tendency to walk out, let the door close behind them and not double check that the lock is locked and in place. That extra second can save you a ton on misery later on.

Jul 21st, 2002, 10:14 AM
fred

Olivia, you may have a point but from my experience most people just let the door slam all by itself(anytime, day or night) so if it doesn't lock then, there must be something wrong with it.

Jul 21st, 2002, 07:17 PM
olivia

Don't you hate it when inconsiderate fellow travellers let their cabin doors SLAM shut? Are they deaf?

Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:28 AM
Rick

I let the door slam just to make sure it locks. Also it helps me make sure that my fellow cruisers are not sleeping. I feel that if I am awake, everyone else should be awake.

Nobody can stop me from letting the door slam, so just drop it.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:16 AM
Man

Hey Rick, I too enjoy slamming the doors, another good way to ensure your fellow cruisers are awake is to drop the toilet seat and then flush it.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:16 PM
hotrod

Rick, slam away if thats what rings your bell.
I would bet though that if someone slammed your car door repeatedly as hard as they slam the cabin doors they would be in a fight with you.
Why do you have to slam the door to make it lock? These ships are modern marvels you know. You don't have to slam to get it to lock. Try it just once. You will like it.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:41 PM
meekone

On my last cruise (Carnival) we had some jerk who just couldn't keep from slamming his door especially late at night.
On the 3rd night, we had a talk at 2a.m. and for some strange reason he learned how to not slam. I don't know how he got that puffy eye either. Must have fallen on the steps.

Jul 28th, 2002, 11:04 AM
michaelbuttons

I have been a foreign aide worker. These questions are juvenile. The last cruises I sailed on sent so much information, I needed half a day to sort through it. One of half my team is a LPE (engineer) and likes looking at this stuff. You never, never under any circumstances load up your bags with valuables so you can go traveling all over the world with built in stress. When you leave your cabin, if anything is not there when you come back and you lost great value, it is your own fault. Nobody would spend more than a minute or two in my cabin without knowing, that outside of books, there is no reason to look around. We don't even use the camera anymore. Buy Kodak throwaways and none will steal those. The reason you travel is not to bring your wealth and position along to show off. One bag, one backpack per person and we can go.

Comes the question - what about the dressy clothing for the funny make believe I am in the queen's company dinner. You don't need this stuff and it is one more heavy bag to carry. If you put things into a cabin that have value to you and spend time worrying about those things, you would be better off staying home and taking a bus to the beach.

Jul 28th, 2002, 10:56 PM
Paul Therault

I believe formal evenings are just so beautiful and most everyone looks so elegant.

No matter how much money you have you should own a dark sport coat. It is not that heavy to carry and you will need it for your funeral.

Paul

Jul 29th, 2002, 05:46 PM
buttonhook

My very dear Mr. Michaelbuttons:
Sir;
Just what the heck does your having been a "foreign aide worker" have to do with cruising?
I have been a "foreign aide" contributor
(thanks to my government)for many years
and that has nothing to do with cruising, except for the fact that I could have cruised more times had they not contributed for me!