Swimming with Manatees

Search

Swimming with Manatees

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swimming with Manatees

We just returned from our first trip swimming with manatees. What a fantastic experience. We went with Don Robertson who is the owner of Air Tank Dives in Homosassa. He is located on Rte. 19 south. What is great about Don's trips is that he has 16 years experience in doing these trips. His price is very reasonable-$25.00 for about three hours. (Half the time is taken up getting to the boat and getting up the river to where the manatees congregate) Don guarantees you that you will swim with manatees-if he doesn't he charges you only $15.00. We were there the second week of Nov. and Don found us a group of about 6 manatees. He lets you stay in the water for as long as you need to "bond" with the animals. He also teaches you how to behave around them. You let them approach you-then just pet and scratch away for as long as the animal will allow. Don also regales his guests with stories of his vast encounters with these lovely animals. The best part is that he only takes 6 people out at a time. I highly recommend his trip for anyone who wants to try this experience. The best time to go is during Jan. & Feb. but since this was our first time, we were thrilled with the 6 or 7 that we swam with.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Although swimming with the manatees is very common in the Homosassa area, I believe it is actually illegal to touch an endangered species. But, in your defense, everyone does it -- those little whiskers are the greatest. Don's prices are quite reasonable.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

There are two counties where you can touch Manatees. Citrus is one of them. The Homosassa River is in one of those counties so it is legal to interact with the animals there.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing - can't wait to do this!
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 05:00 AM

hobojo, can you provide a link to that information? It is very uncommon for local laws to supercede federal laws. I'd really like to know more about it.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Here is a link to accurate information regarding swimming with manatees. This states that it is illegal to 1) touch them before they touch you, and 2) to touch them with two hands.

http://www.travel-watch.com/manatees.htm
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Thanks so much hobojo. I am planning a weekend outing of this kind in Jan. or Feb. to celebrate my 50th birthday. Does anyone have any recommendations on lodging in that area? Thanks.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Another good place to see the manatees is Blue Springs State Park, Near Orange City FL. During the colder days of the Florida "winter" they go to the springs since the water is warmer than the St Johns River. Sometimes there will be as many as 50 or 60 of the critters there at one time. You are not allowed to swim when they are there, State Park rules. Only problem, sometimes the line of cars trying to get into the park can be over a mile long.