Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SWF going to Charlotte alone - need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:33 PM
Sarah

I'm considering relocating to Charlotte from San Francisco for a great job opportunity. I'm going in 2 weeks, to check it out. And I'd really appreciate any advice on the best way for me to get a sense of the best of the city! My guess is, Charlotte is a city that doesn't just jump out at you .. you have to know where to go. Suggestions for a nice, central hotel (with charm), any restaurants where I'd be comfortable eating alone (say, with a counter eating area?), museums, any nice walking areas with shops/outdoor cafes? (not much into malls). I just want to get a 'feel' for the place, and the people. And the neighborhoods I should check out (I'm 40 y.o., so would like a central neighborhood, with like types.)
Thanks for all advice!
Sarah

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:21 PM
Arabella

Hi, Sarah,

Welcome to Charlotte; I think it's a great place to live.

You might want to stay at The Morehead Inn. It's in Dilworth, which is an established and tree-lined residential neighborhood, just a few miles south of uptown. The number is 704/376-3357.

Or you could stay at The Dunhill Hotel (704/332-4141), which is a small, European-style hotel in the heart of uptown. You'd be across the street from the performing arts center, the arts and crafts museum, the library, Discovery Place (a play museum for kids), a wide variety of restaurants and a popular Irish bar, RiRa's.

As for outdoor shopping/cafe areas, we have Phillip's Place, which is in the SouthPark area, south of Dilworth by about five miles. Phillip's Place has upscale shops, a great seafood restaurant called Upstream, a Dean and Deluca's cafe, a movie theater and a wine bar.

There are a number of casual restaurants on East Boulevard, not far from The Morehead Inn. You'd feel comfortable eating alone in any one of them. You'll find restaurants just south of the intersection of East and South and a mile or two farher south on East near Kenilworth.

The Mint Museum is on Randolph, again, not all that far from The Morehead Inn. It's a fine little museum.

You'll hear plenty of negative comments about Charlotte on this board, but I adore it here. It's very friendly and open to newcomers.

But, be warned that we are in the Bible Belt and you will encounter people who take their religion very seriously. You will be asked what church you belong to and will be invited to church. Don't be put off -- that's a way for people to be friendly here. If you work in a less traditional field (not a bank), you may not encounter this.

You'll miss the cultural opportunities that you can so easily explore in San Francisco. We think we have professional theater, but we really don't.

If you do move here, do yourself a favor and select a home in an established neighborhood. Don't move to a new subdivision that was recently a cowfield. I'm amazed by how many people do that and then complain that Charlotte is "soul-less."

Well, it's getting late and I'm rambling.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:32 PM
x

Be sure to check out the basketball games at the Charlotte Coliseum. Great fun!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:29 AM
Sarah

Hi Arabella,

Thanks so much for your tips! I'll look into both hotels you mentioned. Also, how is the Inn Uptown?

And how does the Uptown neighborhood compare to Dilworth? (Not just for staying, but for living?) They sound pretty similar (historic, charming). If I do relocate, I'll be looking to buy probably a 2 bd. bungalow-type home, so I'm not really looking for neighborhoods that only have mansions/big family homes. (Don't worry - I'd NEVER live in a subdivision!)

You mention that Charlotte doesn't have any real theater. But I've been reading about the Charlotte Shout events happening now. So, it sounds like there is some culture (?) at the Blumenthal Perf. Arts Center, right? Maybe not by SF standards, but, that's ok. As long as there's SOME!

Btw, is now a good time to visit Charlotte, weather-wise? It's in the 50's and very foggy here in the Bay Area. So, I'm looking forward to some heat - but a little worried about the humidity!

Sarah

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:02 AM
Gretchen

Charlotte does have touring Broadway shows. And a very respectable symphony. Dilworth is a charming part of town--the first "suburb" of a growing "metropolis" at the turn of the century. YOu might go to some real estate websites--DickensMitchener or BissellHayes--and get an idea of real estate. You will have NO problem getting some heat on up into September and October!! Charlotte is a beautiful city with a small town feel to it. I hope you will enjoy it. Bank of America?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:24 AM
Bubbles

The nicest hotel in Charlotte is The Park Hotel (Relais & Chateaux) and it is in the Meyers Park/Dilworth/South Park area. Great shopping and dining. Unfortunately, you may dislike the city considering you are from San Francisco. Very conservative southern town but good luck and welcome to Charlotte!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Erik

Sarah,

Go to luxurylink.com and search for Charlotte. This should give you a good idea of what's available. I grew up in Charlotte and I'd also suggest Dilworth, which represents a great example of preserved and renovated Art Deco style. My sister lives in SF--Noe Valley--and she comments that Dilworth is one place she'd consider relocating to in Charlotte. There are also some very nice developments being constructed downtown that would allow easy walking to downtown restaurants, work, nightlife, Blumenthal... Also, consider yourself forewarned about the very plastic feel of the SouthPark Area.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:48 PM
Arabella

Sarah,

The Park Hotel is very nice, but it's adjacent to an upscale shopping center and very near a regional mall. Not particularly charming.

Unfortunately, you won't find a two-bedroom bungalow house uptown; you'll find new condo developments there. Some are craftman-style townhouses with front porches and are quite adorable. You'll find your bungalow in Dilworth, Elizabeth, Plaza/Midwood and other older areas near uptown. They'll run in the $250,000+ range, although you can find some between $150,000 and $200,000 in Myers Park Manor (behind Park Road Shopping Center) and in the Chantilly neighborhood. A welcome relief from San Francisco real estate prices!

My comment about professional theater hit a raw nerve. The Performing Arts Center is run by a backward bunch who have been burned once and are now too timid to bring anything controversial to town. The police nearly arrested an actor who appeared nude in "Angels in America" and the arts center has been cowed since. They actually mail out letters warning patrons of material that might be found offensive in upcoming performances.

The later you can visit, the better. October is very comfortable here. The humidity might be a bit much for you now.