Reload this Page >

Sweet 16 trip to NYC for daughter--need suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Tess

Posting this message makes me realize how fast time flies. When I first discovered Fodor's message board in 1998, I used it to plan a trip that included a stop at Chicago's American Girl Place for our then kindergarten-age daughter. Now my 'little' girl is a high school sophomore and almost 16. Sigh...

Anyhow, thinking ahead to April and her birthday, I can't think of a thing she'd love more than a return trip to NYC (our first and only being a week before 9/11). That trip was a family vacation with 9 and 12 year olds and we did all the touristy things that families do, including one day when DH and DS went to a Yankees game while we girls had tea at the Pierre. That was fun.

This trip, though, is all about the girls. Our son is now in college so he won't be going. Not sure yet about DH I would love suggestions from Fodorites about places to stay, places to shop (she already knows about H&M), places to eat, and things to do. DD is a great girl (save for those 'teen moments') who loves shopping, dining, and the occasional spa treatment but rarely asks for anything.

She is a dancer so am wondering if we could explore that avenue somehow? She also loves Broadway shows so that's definitely another option. It's been so long since we've been in New York, though, that I'm not sure where to start planning.

I want this to be a trip she'll remember forever without spending the fortune that we don't have. Any ideas you have are appreciated.

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 08:58 AM
dmlove

We happened to be in NY for my daughter's 16th birthday 4 years ago (the trip wasn't FOR her birthday; we had other reasons to be going). Anyway, we saw Hairspray on her birthday and it was a highlight for her. She already knew all the music. It was a surprise, so she was thrilled.

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds like it will be a really great trip! For shopping, she might like SoHo for its botiques and designer stores. 5th Avenue is fun as well - it's a mix of the high end and the more common (though it has typical mall stores, I have never seen a nicer Banana Republic!) Also, there are several huge Forever 21 stores that have a lot of very cheap but trendy clothing. There's a big one near Macy's in Harold Square.

Have you seen Wicked? If not, I'd highly, highly recommend it. It's just super and I think it would be perfect for a trip like this - my mom, aunt, cousin and I saw it on during a "girl's weekend" in Chicago and everyone loved it.

I found it very easy to eat on a small budget - it seems like getting a very tasty picnic type lunch at a deli and enjoying it in Central Park would be a memorable and not too expensive lunch option (weather dependent, of course.)

Enjoy your trip - my mom and I did two mother-daughter trips to NYC this summer and the experiences are memories I'll cherish forever.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM

If she's interested in dance I would focus on Broadway shoes that have a lot (Chorius Line, Chicago etc). Also check out Lincoln Center to see if they have any ballet or other dance performances then. Also, I believe they do backstage tours - and she might be interested in that.

When you get closer check out the web site of New York Magazine - which lets you search for events (they list thousands) by date and type - for dance options.

Other things I thin anyone would enjoy

Top of the Rock
Either the Met or MoMA (depending on what's on - check their web sites)
Exploring some of the trendy downtown neighborhoods
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM

There are many dance troupes in NYC. Among the most famous are Alvin Ailey, ABT (American Ballet Theater) New York Ballet Theater.

There are also many boutiques where there are designer/owners on East 9-11 Streets, Ave A to Second Ave.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Tess

Great ideas--thank you and please keep them coming.

Any thoughts on a special restaurant or two? Last trip we enjoyed Union Square Cafe but the rest of the restaurants we ate at were of the John's Pizza variety, just because of the kids' ages. Now we're ready for some 'grown up' restaurants

And hotels? On our 2001 trip we stayed at Doubletree Suites in Times Square. Nice place but what a zoo down there.

We're not really on a budget per se--I just don't want to bust the bank on one trip...like a good Fodorite I'm always planning 'the next one.'

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM

If there are only two of you I would check out Priceline and you might get a great deal - assuming you don;t mind sharing a bed. To stay away from the madness of Times Square I would try Central Park south or upper west side - or even downtown.

If there are 3 of you Priceline won't work- but you could look at the affinia group of hotels - moderate prices and lots of different room/suite configurations.

If you're interested in upper west side (mid/upscale residential that;s busy but not frantic, close to Lincoln Center and Central Park, tons of good inexpensive restaurants and easy subway access to the rest of the city) try the Lucerne, On the Ave - or for more budget the Beacon.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:00 PM

What sort of dance does she do? How many days will you stay? What's her style? Would you like to stay in a trendy place?
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM

The Sofitel is a great hotel in a great location. I highly recommend it.

Debi
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 08:50 PM

There are all sorts of dance performances on offer in NYC beyond Broadway. Without knowing what type of dance she is interested in, it is a little hard to give precise advice, but I would definitely say to check out what is on offer at City Centre (http://www.citycenter.org), Lincoln Centre (http://www.lincolncenter.org), the New York City Ballet (http://www.nycballet.com/nycb/home/), American Ballet Theatre (http://www.abt.org/), The Brooklyn Academy of Music (http://www.bam.org/), the Dance Theatre of Harlem (http://www.dancetheatreofharlem.com/) and the Alvin Alley Dance Theatre (http://www.alvinailey.org/ ) in terms of dance performances. She may get a lot more out of these than a Broadway Show (Chorus Line notwithstanding) and you may pay a lot less for tickets. You may be able to get tickets to student performances at The Julliard, take a look at http://www.juilliard.edu/

For Broadway, I agree on the Chorus Line recommendation (have not seen the new production.) I am a huge fan of “Stomp” (off-Broadway), and there is some dance in that, but just great creative rhythm generally. Take a look at playbill.com for listings of Broadway and off-Broadway productions.

Agree on the Soho for shopping, I just was there with my 16 and 14 year old nieces and they loved it all. Wander the shops, have a meal, including China Town and Little Italy, etc. I think the Tenement Museum, also in the neighborhood, is a great place, on a weekend I would definitely reserve for a tour. Take a look at http://www.tenement.org.

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Tess

She takes classes and competes in tap, ballet, Pointe, Irish tap, jazz and Irish lyrical. I would say her heart lies with ballet, tap and Irish--she sat in the audience and wept a few years ago when we saw "Lord of the Dance" onstage so your suggestions for dance performances are wonderful and appreciated.

Nice hotel rooms are important to us--we're definitely not of the 'it's only a place to sleep' kind of family. For us, a great hotel is part of the vacation experience. NYC room rates are scary though, for sure.

As for mclaurie's questions, I would guess we'd be there the four days of spring break. DD loves 'fab' places and being in the heart of things. For her, trendy is nice but cheap is not. She absolutely loves clothes and also loves chasing down a clothes bargain. I guess a good way to describe her is that she's pretty much game for anything and wants to wring every last bit of enjoyment out of life--she's a pleasure to travel with!

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:22 PM

Yes for hotels NYC is really pretty expensive. If you can avoid Times Square I would, for noise, crowds, etc. As this is your second trip, you might want to try another area anyway. All the way downtown in the financial district/Wall Street can sometimes be cheaper on weekends as business-types are there, you might try there is your trip is partially over a weekend. There is a wonderful Ritz-Carlton down at the Battery in the Wall Street area, quite expensive but a nice treat. There is a Marriott Financial Center nearby, and the Embassy Suites gets good reviews on this board and is a good downtown location. (And for any of these hotels, there is great discount shopping at Century 21 on nearby Church Street which your DD may really enjoy, take a look at http://www.c21stores.com/home_page.asp. ) You can take a taxi or subway to Soho, etc, parts are walk able in about 1.5 miles, fine if you get a good day and have good shoes. Battery Park is where you get ferries to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, you can also take the Staten Island Ferry (free and a great way to see the Statue of Liberty on the way there and back with no lines).

I also really like 60 Thompson in the Soho area, nice little hotel and there are great restaurants and shopping in the area. I think this would fit all the DD's requirements for a "fab" place. Take a look at http://www.60thompson.com. The Inn at Irving Place in the Village is another thought, I have not stayed in the rooms, but have eaten and had tea there and have always thought it was charming and luxurious at the same time. The DD could look at NYU at the same time.... Take a look at http://www.innatirving.com/. I know that there are other hotels in the area, you might run a search or try lhw.com or slh.com or tripadvisor.com.

From either downtown location, you can hop a taxi or take the subway if you want to go uptown for something, but if this trip is going to be more focused on downtown, you may not need to come uptown very much.

The West side of Manhattan could be a good choice too, esp if you end up with tickets to Lincoln Center.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 05:40 AM

When I took my teenage girls to NY, they loved Chinatown the best and shopping on Canal Street where they could afford to buy the knock off designer bags... We saw the Rockettes too because it was the Christmas season and they just loved that too.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Please do not knock offs. They are often produced in sweat shops and it has been well documented in the mainstream press, that some proceeds finance terrorists.

Last year a few tourists were trapped in the basement of a Canal Street store when it was raided for selling illegal goods. They were neve arrested, but I have seen personally a number of arrests on Canal Street for selling illegal goods.

What I will never understand is that people are always law abiding feel it is acceptable to buy illegal goods. And that they take great pride in buying illegal goods for their children who are present.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Gosh, I could have started this thread! My dancer daughter also wants to go to NYC for her sweet 16....only she just turned 15 this weekend, so I've got a bit more time to plan.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM

A few additions to the dance performance suggestions and shopping locales:

The Joyce Theater in Chelsea is the premiere venue for small, contemporary dance companies. They also run a smaller venue in SoHo. And Dance Theater Workshop regularly hosts touring contemporary dance troops from out of town and around the world. Both are worth checking out.

I had a slightly older teen cousin visiting a couple of years ago, and she spent several hours shopping on Lower Broadway around NYU and SoHo (walk South on Broadway from Eighth Street). Tons of shops, from mall stores to discount places, sneakers and jeans to fashion. You can also walk around SoHo, which is fun, but probably too expensive.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Yes, definitely walk around SoHo. Pearl River Mart www.pearlriver.com has all sorts of interesting things that might appeal to someone of her age.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:05 AM

For shopping, I second the rec for Century 21, which sells designer duds for less. I think this really would be a fashion-y teen's dream! It does require a little patience and vision, however. For not-so-bargain shopping, head to Saks. Their shoe section is HUGE. Their make-up section is also enormous, and would be fun for a make-over. Barney's is good for browsing and inspiration, but waaayyyy expensive. Sometimes I go to Barney's for ideas and then head to Club Monaco (love, love, love Club Monaco).

Walking the Brooklyn bridge provides some of the best views of Manhattan I've ever seen. Afterwards, brunch in Brooklyn Heights would be fun and then subway back to Manhattan.

Restaurants: Momofuku Ssam in the East Village is a hot spot right now. Impossible to get into a dinner, but go for lunch when they serve these a-ma-zing Korean burritos called Ssam... filled with kimchee and slow-braised pork shoulder. OMG, they are delicious. Also in the E.V., Veselka is a buzzy, bright 24-hour Ukranian diner (get the perogies!). Crif Dog on St. Marks seems ideal for teens -- very East Village hipster, serving all manner of hot dogs and toppings (some vegetarian, too). Or you might try Katz's. Or, Chinatown dim sum (with the carts) is always fun, but that might be only offered on weekends.

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM

I love Cicerone's idea of 60 Thomspon in Soho. I also think the meatpacking district (the Gansevoort hotel) or the Bowery hotel or maybe the Maritime in Chelsea would all be fun, trendy and a bit of luxury near trendier shops and restaurants, not to mention the Joyce theater for dance.

On the Avenue hotel near Lincoln Center is another idea.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Good ideas already on shopping and Broadway. My daughter is 17 and we've been to NYC 3 times in about 4 years. She LOVES NYC and has applied to college there.

On our last trip (shopping, SoHo, Broadway, Fifth Ave, etc) one of the highlights of the trip was sitting outside on the patio (actually, the sidewalk) of a restaurant in Chelsea, eating and people watching. she would have sat in that seat for hours if they'd let us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -