Search

Sunrise on Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:28 AM
msfish

Sunrise on Oahu

Can anyone tell me the best place to view a sunrise on the island of Oahu? Havee taken in many sunsets but would like to catch a sunrise on my trip in March 2003. Anyone have an answer???

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Susan

Lanikai Beach on the windward side of the island. The sun comes up over the ocean with the Mokulua Islands in the foreground. It's a beautiful, tranquil bay and you will probably only share the beach with some local fishermen. Get there early and bring your coffee and some malasaddas from Agnes' Portuguese Bake Shop in Kailua.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 02:02 PM
xxx

Any where on the windward side will give you a great view. I like Kualoa Beach Park near the Chinaman's Hat. Laie Point and Turtle Bay are also good spots for watching the sun come up.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Lomi Salmon

I like Lanikai...but,a Kualoa sunrise is hard to beat! The summer months, I find, are better. I guess it's because of the higher humidity. Same goes for the sunsets on the North Shore. My favourite Kualoa sunrise happened 20 years ago on a September morning. The sun was a huge bright red as it rose just to the side of Chinaman's Hat. Sounds of Bali Ha'i went thru my head at that magical moment!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Melissa

Some of my friends like to hike up to the Makapuu Lighthouse for sunrise during whale watching season. I *think* you may have to start out at 430 a.m., but by the time you get to the top you can settle in, watch the sun rise, and see the whales in full glory.