Search

Best Beaches Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Chris

Best Beaches Oahu

I'm going to the first time to Oahu in a week. What are the best beaches (uncrowded and pretty) for

a)snorkeling (not Hanauma Bay sounds too packed)
b)swimming

Thks
Chris

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Yogi

Waikiki - it's so popular no one goes there anymore.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:57 AM
juju

Waimea Bay on the north shore of Oahu is great fun!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:36 PM
tina

We too are going to Oahu on the first week of July.Here's a list of the nice beaches there.
Southern shore
1. Waimea Beach Park. The view of the curved bay with the tower of St. Peter and Paul Catholic Mission in the background is awesome. If the lot fills up quickly on the weekend, there's roadside parking. Waimea is usually where the best of the best come to surf the big waves but that's usually in the winter. As always, check with the lifeguards for water conditions.
2.Turtle Bay- wonderful place to snorkel.
Eastern Shore
1.Kailua Beach Park- ocean conditions are mostly calm year round.
2.Kualoa County Regional Park- calm waters and fantastic view of Mokoli'i island, better known as Chinaman's hat.
3.Lanikai Beach- voted no.1 by the Travel Channel as the best beach in Hawaii.Located just south of the Kailua Beach.
4.Waimanalo Bay Recreation Area- lots of open spaces and picnic areas and restrooms.
Leeward Oahu(West)
1.Pokai Bay Beach Park- bay is protected by breakwaters from high surf. Sunset views are breathtaking.
2. Kaena Point Cove- beautiful views of the ocean and mountain.
3.Ko Olina Cove- Oahu's most scenic lagoon. Good snorkeling and swimming.
North Shore
1.Pupukea Beach Park(Three Tables)- located just past Waimea Bay Beach Park. Further down the beach is an area known as the Three Tables for the 3 or 4 flat sections of visible reef that can be seen during low tide. Great for snorkeling.
2.Sunset Beach- located a few miles past Ehukai Beach. Offers a spectacular view of Kaena Point.
I'm sure there's a lot more beaches in Oahu that I left out. As I've stressed out before, check the water conditions before you swim. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:59 PM
kalena

Malaekahana, Pipeline. Before jumping in, observe the conditions.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:05 PM
tina

Sorry, made a mistake. Waimea Bay and Turtle Bay is in the North Shore.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 05:49 PM
K

Sharks Cove is a wonderful reef located on the North Shore where a large variety of marine life can be seen in their natural environment. The reef can only be accessed during calm seas. During the Winter, the reef cannot even be seen due to the large waves.This is a wonderful beach for swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving during the months of March through October when the seas are calm. There are no lifeguards. Wear shoes at all times due to the sharp coral and rock formations. The Ocean drops off to about 25 feet at the end of the reef.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:19 PM
tweet

One of my favorite snorkel spots on Oahu is at Queens Surf Beach in front of Kapiolani Beach Park. My parents discovered this spot was good for snorkeling when they visited us in 1995. Since it's discovery I have snorkeled at this spot dozens of times. Each experience is very unique with new sightings of tropical fish, live coral colonies, lobsters, crabs, and eels. There is a rock groin extending out from the shore. Many fish have made the rock crevices their homes. If you swim out past the end of the groin there are natural rock arches, caves, and hiding spots for lots of fish and other creatures. The unique formations are a fun area to explore, but be careful, the current can be strong.The Waikiki Snorkel Spot is between the bathrooms at the far end of the Kapiolani Beach Park and the Waikiki Aquarium at the Diamond Head end of the beach park. The best snorkeling is found around the Waikiki side of the rock groin. There are also many large coral heads located in the shallow water area heading towards Waikiki from the groin. This is a marine preserve and it is unlawful to fish or remove anything from this area.
Have fun in your vacation!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 06:35 AM
dave

I highly recommend doing Hanaumau Bay, but go early and avoid the crowd. My wife and I have snorkeled many times the 3 times we have been to Hanaumau Bay, we have always been amazed. You can take a 6:15am tour pick up and have the place almost to yourself, and be done by around 10am and relax while watching the crowds come pouring in. If that's too early, we found arriving at least before 9am to still be very good. Also, Waiamanalo Beach area is excellent. No crowd especially during the week, but I was there the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and only a handful of people were around. Then go next door to Keneke's for a plate lunch after swimming. Also a good boogie board spot when the surf is good. I like Waikikki for its location and amenities nearby, but too crowded for my taste, but fun.