Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sunrise at Mt. Haleakala- when to leave, how long to get there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 07:14 PM
Scott in Cowtown

Planning to catch the sunrise on Mt. Haleakala first day there in Maui. We will be staying at the Hyatt in the Kaanapali area. What time (approx) are the sunrises usually (September 10 will be the date)? What time should we leave our hotel for the drive to the top? 2:00am? 3:00am? We'll be bringing sweaters/blankets...

Thanks for the help.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 03:13 AM
Charlie

Aloha Scott,
Don't know what time sunrise is but I know that from Kaanapali you need to allow 2 hours for the ride to Mt.Haleakala.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 10:05 AM
Dick

If you are arriving from from the mainland..you decision to go on your first day is a wise choice. YOu will probably be up early anyhow..due to the timne difference.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 12:48 PM
Ruth

The concierge can let you know when sunrise will be, then count back about two hours from then, as Charlie above said, for your departure time from Kaanapali. Before you leave call the Nat'l. Weather Service At (808) 871-5054, for the forecast, viewing conditions and exact sunrise time, so you don't drive up when viewing conditions are poor! The starlight going up the mountain is almost as beautiful as the sunrise is. You'll probably need to have a wake-up call about 3:00 - 3:30 AM, depending on how fast you can get ready, and ask for something hot to drink to take with you. Have a great time!

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 02:19 PM
Cynthia

Great choice. It's the most beautiful thing I have seen. I went with a group last Thanksgiving, and we too got up about 3 am to leave from Kaanapali. It is VERY COLD at the top. Take lots of clothes and a big backpack to stuff everything in as you go down the mountain. Have a great time!

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 02:33 PM
Dave

We chose to take the bicycle ride down the volcano to the sea. This was the clear highlight of our tour of 3 islands over two weeks. The ride was an easy breeze... all downhill for 38 miles. I would have done it again the next day if we had the chance... and can't wait to repeat the experience.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 08:40 AM
Cassie

If you really want to add to your Haleakala trip, book a half day horseback ride into the crater. They bring the horses up to the summit and you ride down into the extinct volcano. I went a couple of years ago with Pony Express - was $125 and worth every nickel. I think their email is [email protected].