Sunday in Boston with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three of us, kids ages 10 and 6, fly into Providence, RI arriving about 10am. I would like to visit Boston for the day, taking a duck tour and walking some of the freedom trail before heading to our hotel on Cape Cod. Can you give me any advice about where to park and commuting in to Boston, probably to the Prudential center to catch the Duck.

Is there parking at the Prudential center? Would parking at an outlying T station be easy on a Sunday? I imagine Boston is like Northern VA, no parking at the stations after 7am because of the commuters on weekdays.

I'm not too worried about cost, more convenience and saving our limited time.
Thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM

There is a vast parking garage under the Prudential. It's $30 during the week but I think cheaper on the weekend. Don't bother parking at a T station because unless there is an event in the city (Cancer March, Gay Pride or the like) you won't have any problems at all driving in. You may need to reserve the Duck Tour in advance.

If you figure an hour to get your luggage and the rental car, another to drive to Boston, an hour for lunch, and an hour and a half to the Cape (going against traffic)you can spend the from 1 to 5 or 6 doing stuff in Boston with the kids. There are plenty of fast food places on Boylston Street, but I don't know if the Pru Food Court is in operation on Sundays. Someone else will no doubt tell you.

I would recommend walking over to the Esplanade after the Duck Tour so the kids can see the boats on the river, the city folks enjoying themselves on Sunday, and the Hatch Shell where the Pops play on the 4th, something you can remind them of every year. It isn't a very long walk, and they will get an impression of the Back Bay architecture that will stick with them, based on my kids' experience.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:39 AM

On a Sunday, you'll have no problems parking at a T station or at the garages at the Prudential/Copley Place complex. Parking at the T garage is about $3 per day, and round trip fare is $4 each, for a total of $15, far cheaper than parking in town.

If you decide to park at a T station, I recommend the Braintree terminal of the Red Line, which is directly off Exit 17 on Route 3, and thus closer to both Providence and the Cape. The Red Line goes directly to the Park Street station, where the Freedom Trail begins and where you can also transfer to the Green Line, to/from Prudential.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 03:02 AM

You'll get to see parts of the Esplanade, and plenty of boats, during the in-the-river part of the Duck Tour.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 04:19 AM

On Sundays most parking meters in Boston are free. By the time you arrive, it may be difficult finding an empty spot, but if you find one, it will save you the cost of garage parking.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Another alternative is to board the Duck Tour at the Museum of Science, since there's a parking garage there.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:14 AM

I agree that Braintree is the best T station both for Providence and the Cape: very easy to get to (from I-95 heading north) and then get on your way (onto Route 3 east). Keep in mind that service is less frequent on a weekend, and it's still a lengthy ride since you will be at the terminus.

However, IMO if you're not familiar with driving in Boston, public transportation is by far the better option. If you do decide to drive into the city, make it simple and park at the Pru. (I grew up in the Boston area and go back a few times a year; I swear I get turned around every time! Happened to me last weekend trying to get from Back Bay to I-93 South... I have driven in foreign countries with better luck!)

You might want to look at the commuter rail from the Route 128 station. (Actually, this line originates in Providence, though I think the airport station is still under construction.) I suggest this because the Route 128 station is right off the highway, again with the same easy access from Prov and to the Cape. And it will take you to the Back Bay station, a few blocks from the Pru: walk down Dartmouth past Trinity Church and Copley Square. So there would not be any switching lines like you would need to do with the T.
Check out the schedule and see if it works for you: www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 08:51 AM

I agree that you can drive from Warwick (PVD airport) to the University Ave Amtrak/Mbta station --easy parking not expensive then take the 20 min mbta commuter rail into back bay. You can walk 1 1/2 blocks to the Duck Tours at the pru.. the drive is a pain on weekends in the summer in and out of boston.. then when you get back to the univ.ave station you will be able to hop on 95 to 495 back down to the Cape. have fun!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 09:26 AM

sealover, which is the better route to the Cape from there, I-95 to I-495 to Route 25, or Route 128 to Route 3? I would have suggested the latter, but it is of course much more congested. And if the former, again which is preferable, Route 128 to Route 24 to I-495, or to stay on I-95 until it intersects 495?

Thanks - I've always been curious about this!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

We took the Baintree subway in to the city and it worked very well! It was very convenient to be on our way to the Cape after visiting Boston. We had fabulous weather last Sunday. We did the duck tour, and spent some time relaxing in Boston Common. Thanks for the tips,
Rebecca