sun brunch/soho area/shopping

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sun brunch/soho area/shopping

We will be in NYC over Labor Day weekend, staying at the Solita Soho. Other than Wicked for Sun matinee, Guggenheim and some shopping, our plans are low key.

What do you suggest for a casual place for Sun brunch, not just limited to Soho, but maybe close. Not too expensive or crowded, but good? Thought we'd find a place to eat in Little Italy and Chinatown, too and would welcome suggestions.

Anything else of special interest happening this weekend? My daughter, 22, is interested in the Soho shopping.

Thanks!

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Try to get a copy of today's NY Times. The Weekend section has a list of events on page E20 (can't find it online). Among other things, there's a Brazilian festival on 6th ave. bw/ 43-57 st. Sat/Sun, a street far on Sat. (11-6) on 2nd ave. & 45-57 st. (near the UN), a Greenwich Village festival on Sun 10-6 on Broadway from Waverly to 14th st. plus the Wahsington Square outdoor art exhibit, a 7 mile walk on Sun. at noon shorewalkers.org

For casual brunch in Soho, Broome St. Bar and the Cupping Room are good options.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:49 AM

We like Sunday brunch at Ideya Cuban Café on West Broadway between Broome and Grand, but you may prefer the French bistro, Felix, across the street.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

We ended up having Sunday brunch at Jane, which was great. I had Benedict Johnny, a twist on Eggs Benedict that had maple chicken sausage and corn cakes-very good. My daughter had vanilla bean french toast. As a note, no alcohol before noon on Sundays, which surprised me. No bloody mary!

A lunch at Spring Street Natural was also very good-very fresh, organic ingredients. Crowded and noisy.

Lombardi's was too crowded, so one night we ate at Da Gennaro on Mulberry. It appeared to be a companion to the restaurant across the street. It was delicious-probably the best pizza I've ever had. The street was closed and full of people-sat outside and had a glass of wine-great atmosphere.

Joe's Shanghai didn't disappoint. The portion are huge, though; you could easily share an entree. We had never had the dumplings that people had talked about-they never sounded or looked very appetizing. Wrong-they were wonderful.

All of that great food, combined with Wicked and general sightseeing made a great, quick trip!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Also, I meant to add that the Solita Soho was a nice, small hotel. The room was very small, so with 3 of us, it was really too tight-2 people aren't comfortable in what they call a full-sized bed. Beds were very comfy, though, with nice linens. Functional, marble bath with full tub. I could hear noise from a club in the area one night, even from the 8th floor, as well as garbage trucks, etc.

Good location, walking distance to Little Italy and Chinatown, as well as shopping.