Shopping - SoHo - NYC

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Shopping - SoHo - NYC

I'm taking my 2 teenager daughters to NYC for the weekend and would like to find some unusual shopping (not the typical mall type stores) that would still appeal to teenagers. Is SoHo the area to go? Any suggestions for restaurants for lunch? Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Hi Maureen. I'm not good with shopping questions and don't have teens (yet) but here are my two cents. Soho is a fabulous shopping and eating area - for lunch you can try Zoe (upscale), Kelley & Ping (Asian self-service), Jerry's (diner), or many other places you can find but walking around. Try to make it to Broadway on the east edge of Soho. Also go uptown on Broadway and check out the Astor Place area, go east on 8th St which turns into St. Marks and check out the East Village.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:36 AM

Yes, Soho is definitely good shopping, but it can be expensive. The girls might get a kick out of Canal Street, Broadway has a few stores that are good for teens. Best thing is just browse, they will find something they like, no doubt about that! Elizabeth St is a good place to look into.
Restaurants:
Il Corallo on Prince,Italian, brick oven pizza, wonderful fresh salads, very nice atmosphere.
The Cub Room, across the street from Il Corallo, cool, neighborhood place , good food, always crowded.
Penang on Spring St, Thai, very interesting decor, waterfall and grass roofed huts to sit in, yummy food.
Tennessee Mt House,Spring St, BBQ, fried chicken, wings, ribs, fries, busy, casual.
The Cupping Room, madhouse, but great brunches/lunches, neighborhood place, but often you can see some famous faces.
Once Upon a Tart, if you want to just stop for a snack and drink.
Zoe-very nice lunch with your ladies
Hope this helps, have a great time!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Cool stores in SoHo

Kate Spade
Armani Exchange
Kates Paperie
Kenneth Cole
Aldi (shoes)
Averex
Sephora
Zara (only baragains on this list)
Urban Outfitters
Face Stockholm
Bliss

I suppose if you live in a big enough city your malls might have some of these. Those are just the ones I remember because they are well-known names, but SoHo abounds with unique shops.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 07:09 AM

I would start at Broadway at 8th Street (N/R or 6 subway lines). Walk south on Broadway into SoHo... walk around the area then continue south to Canal Street. Lots of unique shops mixed in with the bigger retailers mentioned above.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:31 AM
GoTravel

Be forwarned, there is fabulous shopping in SoHo but it is very expensive (hint, Prada has their flagship in SoHo). Unless you have deep pockets, I think they may enjoy places like H&M, Strawberry, Bolton's, and Armani Exchange (think of a hip Gap). I also agree your teenagers would enjoy Canal Street.

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:34 AM

soho is basically a mall. shop in the east village if you want really off beat stuff.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:36 AM

I second Scarlett's recos. Penang was quite good!

Spring Street Natural is good for breakfast. and I like Eastanah as well.

and yep, Prada has their flagship there. I believe we saw a chinchilla bed throw, for, what was it, around 100K? yeah, I'll take two please!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM

Oh flygirl, you have such excellent taste!!
You really must take the girls to Prada just to see the store, it is quite a sight! And the sales people are nice.
While it is true that there is a JCrew and Banana Republic in the neighborhood, there are also some great small boutiques that are not sooo expensive and are quite fun to shop in. You just have to go there and walk and browse. I still discover new places all the time.
Happy shopping!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Although it's expensive and not really "unusual", you should shop a little on 5th Ave, especially if it's their first time to NYC. The H&M (good bargains) there is huge and there are a lot of good window shopping opportunities. Plus, what girl wouldn't enjoy a trip to Tiffany's?!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 11:12 AM
JVS

I agree with flopmeister, Soho has nearly everything you can find in a larger mall. In addition to the East Village, I recommend Nolita (North Of Little Italy)for more offbeat (and even sometimes better priced) funky things.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 11:51 AM

If you decide to go to the Lower East Side, some streets you may want to wander down would be Ludlow, Orchard and Allen Streets (north-south streets) south of Houston, between Houston and Rivington or Delancey. The Tenement Museum is right there. Unfortunately, I think the Pink Pony Cafe on Ludlow is gone now, but there are probably great places to stop for lunch there. For a pizza, we always like Two Boots, a little further up on Ave A and 2nd/3rd Streets.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:54 PM

I also agree with JVS and flopmeister. I have found Nolita to be a great spot for boutique shopping.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 07:05 AM

Maureen, First I want to emphasize the recommendation for H & M. In case you don't know, it's a very popular place for trendy but very affordable clothes. Skirts & slacks can be as little as $15 or $20. They have several stores. The one I've been to is on Fifth Ave around 50th St. I saw lots of teens and 20'somethings there.
Century 21 is a great discount department store downtown (not Soho- 175 Broadway which is on the east side at that point). Designer clothes for much less.
If you go to Orchard St. or Allen St. on the lower east side, these shops are CLOSED on Saturday. Sunday is their big day.
Finally, for eating in Soho I'll add to your great list the Broome Street Bar at the corner of Broome & West Broadway (near the Cupping Room). It's a real local place (although less so on weekends) with good burgers & salads. But if the girls are more adventurous eaters I'd opt for something more exotic. Kin Khao on Spring St between Thompson & West Broadway is another good Thai.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Unfortunately, the truth is that most of the clothing stores in SoHo are now mall stores that you can find in most upscale malls across America. Most of the more interesting boutiques have been priced out of the neighborhood.

If you walk East of Broadway on Prince Street, however, between Lafayette Street and Bowery is you'll find a bunch of fun boutiques, many of them geared to your daughters' ages. I think the boutique blocks extend down to Spring, so you can take Mulberry Street or Elizabeth Street down. Also, if you walk up Lafayette from Spring there are a few interesting places.

That said, I'd also try the East Village. Walk down Second Avenue from 14th Street down to Nineth, across Nineth Street going East a couple of blocks. There are boutiques and some chain stores around there which cater to the New York University undergrad crowd, many of whom live in dorms in that neighborhood.

Have fun. Walking around New York is, really, the best way to see and enjoy the city.