Summer Trip to Telluride

Old Jan 11th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer Trip to Telluride

Family of four planning a trip to Telluride in late June. Have two teenage boys...15 and 18. We are flying...assuming we can fly into Telluride? Is it possible to do a day trip to Arches National Park? Also, want to to the zipline/train in Durango. Easy drive to Durango or should we stay the night there? Also looking for suggestions of must do things in Telluride. Our last trip to Colorado was to Breckinridge over the summer. Enjoyed hiking, mountain biking, zip lining and river rafting and enjoyed the restaurants at night.

Thank you!

Karen
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 03:49 PM

For Telluride, you fly into Montrose and it's a 1 1/2 hour drive from the airport. I think. Why don't you google map Arches and Durango from Telluride? That will tell you how far they are.

Sorry, I can't help more than knowing about the airport.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 04:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Telluride to Durango will take about 2.5 hours via Red Mountain Pass. The pass can be challenging if you're not used to mountain passes. I've done it twice in the same day (from Ouray) and wouldn't do it again by choice.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 08:45 PM

There used to be a regional flight from Denver into Telluride operated by United.

If it fits into your schedule, you might want to fly into Durango from Denver, Phoenix or Dallas (I think there might be a flight from L.A. being added as well). Since I assume you plan on renting a car to make your trips to Moab and Durango, it is going to be easier to rent a car in Durango than in Telluride.

The drive from Telluride to Moab is about 2 1/2 hours. I can't imagine driving 5-6 hours round trip and not spending at least a full additional day driving and hiking in Arches.

it is also 2-2 1/2 hours drive from Telluride to Durango. You don't have to take Red Mountain pass to get from Telluride to Durango although that is a beautiful drive. The alternative route is to drive through Rico, Delores and Mancos to Durango. The zipline trip with train will take a good portion of your day so I recommend an overnight in Durango.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the input!
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 08:02 PM

Unless you are intentionally going to Telluride for the bluegrass festival, be aware that 6/15-18, Telluride will be overrun with people. The following weekend is the wine festival and while it will be a busy weekend, it will be nothing like bluegrass weekend. There is something going on almost every week during the summer in Telluride.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Great to know. Thank you!