Search

Summer plans 06

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer plans 06

We (60years+ with asthma) are visiting GC north rim, Zion and Bryce this summer 06.
I have read all the information about, it will be hot. In addition, unlike last year, I know altitude will be a factor.

We want to see and take pictures of the awesome scenery we have read about. Summer is our only time, and yes, we are limited in our hiking skills. What I am seeking advice on is: which trails will provide us with the greatest beauty views / level of ability. Last summer we visited the south rim of the GC while the Arizona fires raged and ended up hiking only a mile or two before breathing became seriously difficult.

We have all the “in park lodges” and dates set. Now, we need guidance on... be sure to see. .., don’t forget... and hints to make the trip memorable.
Thanks, for your input. Having read the other responses, I feel confident someone on this forum has just the information we need to make this vacation perfect.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM

If you are animal lovers a stop by the Best Friends Sanctuary would be interesting.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:30 AM

In Zion I would recommend the Riverside walk. This is two miles round trip but you can go as far as you like and then just turn around if you can't make it the whole 2 miles. It is a fairly easy hike. Not a lot of elevation gain. Weeping rock is short but has a little elevation gain. Lower Emeral Pools isn't to bad on the elevation gain and a little over a mile round trip.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/activities/DayHiking.htm

It's hard to find a spot in Zion that isn't picture perfect!

If you have the time, not far from Zion is the Grafton Ghost Town. Just ask the locals in Springdale or Rockville how to get there.

At Bryce I would walk along the rim starting with the short 1/2 mile section between sunrise and sunset points...then you can go farther if you feel like it. My favorite hike is the Navajo - Queen's Garden combination. It's almost 3 miles with elevation gain of about 600 feet. I was 53 the last time I did this hike.

http://www.nps.gov/brca/hiking.html

Utahtea

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:13 AM

Bryce has a shuttle bus that takes you along edge - you can hop off, walk a short distance, and get back on at next stop - or just get off and catch next bus at same point. So if you want to do some walking and get tired, it is a great back-up (or when an unexpected massive thunderstorm hit like it did when we were there).

At Bryce you can also walk down among the hoodoos - a very steep walk up, but not very long (no shuttle bus to rescue you there, though!)

I have moderte respiratory problems and did not notice any problems at South Rim or Bryce - but no fires when we were there, so I am guessing you will feel better this time.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your useful information; it will help in our planning! CG