Search

Summer in Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer in Colorado

Traveling to Colorado this summer. Looking to spend some time in Rocky Mountain National Park, Fort Collins, and Denver. Need some help with NICE accomodations. Where to stay with a family.
DENVER - Neer Coors Stadium
FORT COLLINS
RMNP (Estes Park)

Appreciate your response.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:01 AM

If you want upscale, the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is historic and beautiful. (and the set of the movie "The Shining"...) We camped at Moraine Campground at RMNP and had a great site. A small herd of elk ran right past us our first evening.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:04 AM

There is a La Quinta Inn at I-25 and Park Avenue West (3500 Park Avenue West 800-531-5900). It is a 5 minute walk to Coors Field.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:14 AM
MaureenB

In downtown Denver for a family, I recommend the Embassy Suites. It has reasonable rates, large one-bedroom suites w/microwave, frig and small sink. Plus it offers a complimentary evening social with drinks and lots of hot and cold hors d'oeuvres, and a complimentary full breakfast. If your kids are like mine, they like to eat, and it helps when it's plentiful and free!

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:09 AM

I second the Embassy Suites recommendation. Avoid the La Quinta. It is right next to the I-70/I-35 on ramp, loud and doesn't look NICE. (I drive by everyday from work downtown) Much much better accomodations can be found downtown and still closer to Coors Field. Hotel Monaco is fun, but Embassy Suites probably better for family.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:28 AM

I would also recommend the Embassy Suites or Hotel Monaco. Don't even think about the La Quinta. I don't like the location or how it looks. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:57 AM

Tho the Stanley public areas are very NICE, and it is a very NICE place to have lunch, the rooms are absolutely DISMAL (small, drab, ancient [old, not antique] furniture, nasty bedding, antique, cold bathrooms), and overpriced. Try one of the many luxe cabin setups on the river in Estes (hot tubs are NICE on cold summer nights). Brown Palace in downtown Denver is really NICE. Ft. Collins? best bet will be a newer motel.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:34 AM

In Denver, the Brown Palace IS very nice. It's a bit of a walk to Coors Stadium though, and it's a walk that's great during the day, but can get a little iffy at night (right downtown). Estes Park - the Baldpate Inn is lovely, and I've sayed at Aspen Grove Cottages - very simple, comfortable and quite close to town and the park entrance. There are lots of inns along the river leading to the park entrances. Ft. Collins has a few B&Bs and some guest ranches, but unless you're looking for 'quaint', you'd be better off with one of the standard chains there.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM

I thought I had heard The Stanley rooms had been renovated.
For some nice cabin rentals check out www.vrbo.com, or www.estesparkrealestate.com.

Sue
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:41 PM

Yup, Stanley was renovated, but all the money went to the lobby/foyer, back garden, and restaurant. Rooms are still yuck.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:00 PM

Yeah for Fort Collins--I grew up there. I highly recommend the Armstrong Hotel:

http://www.thearmstronghotel.com/

It is located in Old Town, which is basically the main area for shopping, dining and summer festivals. The Armstrong gives you 4 star accomodation at a 2 star price. Don't think just because the rate is low it is not up to par--it is just small, quaint and a best *local* kept secret. I have stayed there twice and each time had a wonderful experience. The suites are worth the extra pennies to upgrade. And there are not one but 2 wonderful breakfast restaurants just next door, and one accross the street.

I know others suggested big chains, but the Marriot and Holiday Inn in Fort Collins are very old and not so great. And bad locations.

In Estes, I stayed at the Stanley last summer and thought the rooms were great. Ours was obviously newly renovated.