Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions, please! Mother's 60th in October!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother's 60th birthday is in October and I want to do something really great. A party is out-she is not into that, plus I want her birthday to be really special. I was thinking a 3-4 day trip/stay somewhere. The big problem is my mother will not fly. She lives in Massachusetts and she is very active (golf is a passion) and fun-loving. Any suggestions for someplace fun, exotic, active but relaxing, not too cold (October) and is not a plane trip away? Tall order, I know, any suggestions would help!!! Thanks!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:13 AM

New York?
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Krispa
NY... but I'll go one step further...after she arrives in NY have her take a cruise...several (?) ships now depart from the NY harbor.....
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Send her by train(Sleeper of course) to Arizona or New Mexico to a Resort with an excellent golf course. You could then have a limo pick her up at the station and transport her to whatever resort you chose.

http://www.golfarizona.com

http://www.newmexico.org/outdoors/golf.html
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:15 AM

My two sisters and I took my mother for a weekend in Newport RI and had a wonderful time. Toured the Mansions, shopped, and went out for Dinner on a Train. Nice area to visit and easy drive from Massachusetts would definitely go again. Good Luck. Happy Birthday to your mom.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:07 AM

If you could arrange to go early October, I'd recommend Bermuda..by cruise ship.. the Majesty from Boston or the NCL Sea from NYC....there are buses available that pick up for the Sea in Providence, the Majesty is absolutely perfect. There are many excellent golf courses in Bermuda and she'd be in heaven.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:55 AM

New England is beautiful in October, and there are plenty of properties with golf courses. There are big, old, grand places like the Mt. Washington Hotel and the Balsams, and plenty of B&B's that offer golf packages in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and yes, even Massachusetts. The Berkshires are gorgeous in October. Not exactly exotic, but...