Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to go in mid October for Mom, Dad, two teenaged daughters?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Debra

Our kids get a fall break from school in mid-October, and I'm hoping for ideas from the well-traveled. We need to stay in continental states (FF miles). The girls can do a few days of scenic beauty, but not a week's worth of wilderness. We'd love to find an unusual festival or event to plan around. Been to Seattle, Orlando, Williamsburg, New Orleans, Hilton Head. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:29 AM
thea

For some suggestions on an "unusual festival or event" go to www.whatsonwhen.com where you can search by theme, place and date for these sorts of gatherings. It sounds like you do have specific days in mind so you should be able to narrow it down (there are lots to choose from!)

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Debra

Thanks Thea, I'll try that. I've look at festivals.com, but that wasn't very helpful.

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Nancy

You don't say where you're from, but my favorite place in the fall is New England. Lots of variety from Acadia National Park in Maine, to the hamlets and small towns of Vermont/NH, Lake Champlain, Adirondacks of NY, Berkshires of Mass. Also Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.

What about Sedona/Grand Canyon and Scottsdale/PHX...weather becoming very pleasant in October.

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Debra

Hi Nancy. We're in the southeast, and don't mind flying somewhere and renting a car to poke around in.

I thought about New England, but wonder about the crowds. We tried the Smoky Mountains last year, and the crowds were so overwhelming, it was hard to enjoy the scenery.

I am, for some reason, drawn to the southwest. I believe in New Mexico is a balloon festival about that time. What weather can I expect in Mid October?

Old May 16th, 2002, 04:40 PM
xxx

San Diego!

Old May 16th, 2002, 05:14 PM
m

california coast

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:15 AM
Cap

Cape Cod won't be so crowded in October.
Everybody has gone back to school.

Vermont and Massachusetts will be, but not as bad as Smokey Mountains, because there is not one ``center'' to focus the tourist's attention.

Upstate NY (Adirondacks or Catskills) is also a possibility. October is peak foliage time and really really beautiful.

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:45 AM
JAYNE

I vote New England, Did this area last fall, 3weeks post 9/11, warm crisp days cool nights Acadia was amazing, follow the coast, Cape Cod was alittle crowded but not many places to stay as the 'season' was over

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:32 PM
joesorce

Another vote for the California coast, lots of folks we know have been doing this with teenagers and they love it.
Fly into Los Angeles and return from San Francisco, renting a car for the one-way scenic drive.

In L.A. the kids will enjoy seeing Hollywood, the Universal Studio tour, and even the great zoo. The Getty Museum is a must! Drive up the coast to Santa Barbara (the Avocado festival in Carpinteria is a hoot - don't miss those avocado brownies!) A night or two at the beach and then a visit to Hearst Castle on the way to a couple of nights in San Francisco. There must be a pumpkin festival up there somewhere in October, because Half Moon Bay is TOTALLY ORANGE that time of year!

Our kids enjoyed shopping around San Francisco, all the ethnic neighborhoods etc. Also, on this trip you might work in some visits to colleges and Universities as there are quite a few along the way including U.C.L.A, Stanford etc. Holiday Inn Bel Air (near UCLA) is perfect for families.

Don't worry, flying into one airport and out of another DOES qualify as a round trip with those Frequent Flyer Miles!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Ellen

Isn't there a hot air balloon festival in Albequerque New Mexico in October? Someone here should be able to comment on that.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
LM

Autumn time...no doubt New England. There are plenty of festivals all around that teenage kids enjoy as much as adults. Not sure when Big E is (it gets crowded though), but you can do that for a day and head to Vermont. You can golf, etc., while kids go riding, etc. Also, Salem. Mass is GREAT in October. Halloween happenings all overthat are fun for couples, singles and families. Plus, there are many day trips you can do from there!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:03 PM
rb

see http://www.balloonfiesta.com/
October 5-13, 2002 for Albuquerque baloon festival

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Anita

How about going to a Renaissance Fest?
We are taking our teen daughter to the one N of Houston in Oct. We have gone for several years & it is always fun. Our daughter dresses (last year she was a fairy, this year a peasant)& has a blast. It has been going on for 28 years so they have a well established setup. There is food, crazy entertainment (comedy & such), jousts & lots of safe fun. If you want to check it out their site is- www.texrenfest.com
We usually stay somewhere around the N Houston area (Woodlands, Lake Conroe). There is then plenty to do around Houston. Shopping is good, there is the Space Center near S Houston, Moody Gardens in Galveston & more.
Flying into Houston is easy but you will need a car to get around. The weather should be good then so I think it is worth a look.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Jen

Folks, this post is from last MAY and the OP wanted to use FF miles. It's over!