Reload this Page >

Suggestions for weekend trip from DC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 07:04 AM
Gina

My parents are spending a week in Washington DC in October and were hoping to spend a relaxing weekend outside the city.

My parents both enjoy food, wine, house/garden tours, historical tours, antiquing, etc. (Also, I've learned from experience that my father is better off at a hotel or historic inn than at a B&B.)

Where should they go? And what shouldn't they miss?

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 07:22 AM
lisa

I would suggest Annapolis, MD -- a lovely historic small city with good restaurants and very nice inns, very walkable, lots of antiquing and other shops, easy to get to from DC. If they want to stay even closer, Alexandria VA is right outside of DC and has wonderful history, great restaurants, Mt. Vernon nearby, more antique stores than you can shake a stick at. If they want a more rural environment, they might enjoy Middleburg, VA.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 01:47 PM
Sandi

If they will have a car, how about Cape May, New Jersey? I did this as a day trip this spring (early April) from D.C., coming back the same day. Took the ferry from Lewes, Delaware. Had a really nice time walking around the town and toured the lighthouse. Weather will probably be comparable to when I was there in early spring, which was a little chilly, but still had a good time.

Happy planning!

Sandi

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 04:44 PM
sue

monitcello/charlotesville (sp?).Mt vernon too

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 05:16 PM
Janette

Richmond, Va is about 2 hours away from DC

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 08:24 PM
Charles

Another vote for Charlottesville Virginia. 2 hours south of DC, a very pleasant drive, and a wonderful place full of history, vineyards, good food, and interesting things.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 07:38 PM
Maura

I would have to disagree with the writer who said Cape May would be a nice day trip. I summer two towns over in Stone Harbor,NJ and I am from Alexandria,Va that would be just a rushed day trip. I live in the Old Town section of Alexandria which is a nice place to visit. There are walking tours of our city that you could take. One of the womens organizations has a house tour of some of the historic (private) homes and I am not sure if it is in Oct., I will see if I can find out. Mt Vernon is 15 min.down the parkway and Woodlawn is 10 min. from that. Than you could get on 95 south and continue down to Richmond 1hr 45min away. And of course Charlottesville like someone else recommended is a very nice day trip. Cape May is a lovely beach town but with the time travel I would give it an overnight stay.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 03:12 AM
Eva

Consider St. Michael's/Oxford/Easton on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, just across the Chesapeake from Balt/Wash. Quaint but sophisticated, historic towns. World-class dining and lodging (e.g. the Inn at Perry Cabin in St. Michael's), good antiquing, interesting shopping. Visit the maritime museum at St. Michaels. Ride the ferry from Oxford to Bellvue. All of this, not more than a 3 hour drive away.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Joanne

I second Cape May, NJ. There is a web site you can check out www.capemay.com. I believe they have the Victorian Festival in mid-October. The web site has all the information you'll need about places to stay and great restaurants.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 06:24 AM
ellen griswold

I couldn't agree MORE with the poster that mentioned Annapolis and Alexandria. Both are TOTALLY classy, lovely, interesting, FUN towns! MT. Vernon is a must, but also check out Gunston Plantation ~ lovely and a much longer tour! Charlotteville/Monticello is also terrific, but a bit longer of a drive.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Diane

Another cool and less-travelled place on Maryland's Eastern Shore is Chestertown, Maryland. You cross the bay bridge from Annapolis and instead of heading for the ocean, visit a very lovely and historic town. Head to their Chesapeake Bay side and you can even take a ferry to Baltimore! I don't recall if it is a car-ferry or not. Another wonderful Maryland historic site is St Mary's City with St Mary's College in St. Mary's County.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Joe

The cover story in the current issue of Washingtonian magazine (http://www.washingtonian.com/) is fall weekend getaways.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Sandi

When I suggested Cape May, I didn't necessarily mean to do the daytrip only. I would have liked to spend the night there but didn't due to shortage of time. There are lots and lots of beautiful bed and breakfasts in Cape May. The houses are very victorian in style.

Also, I stayed in Old Town Alexandria during my visit, and was so glad that I chose to stay there. It was a great place to visit, and with the Metro system, getting back and forth to downtown D.C. was so easy. Gadsby's Tavern in Old Town was my favorite dining experience of the entire trip.

Sandi

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Kevin

I agree with the advice to go to Annapolis. It is only about an hour from D.C. You can visit the Naval Academy, sail on the Chesapeake, walk around and look at all the colonial homes, eat lunch downtown, and shop.