Suggestions for overnigh layover in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to the Caribbean in November and will have an overnight connection thru JFK that arrives around 10PM and leaves at 11 AM the next day. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the best thing to do? Is a trip into the City worth it- especially given the difference in wardrobe requirements I would need. I love a good meal but think that it would be awfully late to venture out for one at that time and obviously the theater is out of the question. I am not into clubs so I am at a loss. Also, where would be the best place to sleep? Thanks for you help.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Honestly, I would probably just stay at an airport hotel, have a good workout and breakfast in the morning and catch my flight. You say your flight arrives around 10. Assuming it isn't late, you have to get your bags, get out of the airport and into Manhattan. Now it's at least 11 pm. There are plenty of places for a late night meal, but will you really want to do it only to then have to check into a hotel, get to sleep and leave in the morning by 9 for JFK again?
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:01 AM

Agree that's the best plan. To trek into the city ( and 11pm would be the early - probably later) then have to leave at 7:30 or 8 am to get back to the airport doesn't make a lot of sense. I would save the $120 in taxi fares and extra cost of hotel for fun in the sun.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM

I agree with the others. A 12 hour layover doesn't leave you enough time for a visit especially if you plan to stay in Manhattan - half of your time will be eaten up just in travel time to and from the airport.

My recommendation is to stay at an airport hotel, and visit the city when you have more time.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking that staying at the airport might make the most sense. Is there a recommendation as to which one would be best. Many hotels near airports offer little amenities and for example wouldn't even be serving dinner at that time of night?
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM

True. The JFK hotels are pretty awful. I think there are some delis and pizza places that might deliver to some of the JFK hotels.

YOu could stay at the Pan American, a very basic hotel about 20 mins. from JFK that has free shuttle service. It's in a location with a few restaurants within walking distance. panamhotel.com
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM

We've stayed at the Doubletree at JFK, it's fine and at least you get cookies when you check in.

I believe the bar had a late night menu.