Suggestions for Boston hotel with suites

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Sandi

Suggestions for Boston hotel with suites

Hello all.... I'm looking for a hotel in Boston, centrally located or near a Subway station, that would have rooms to accomodate up to five adults. I checked the Embassy Suites but it seems to be out in a suburb of Boston. Doubletree Suites only offers me a room with one king bed and a pull out sofa. I'm looking for something with at least two double beds and the pull out sofa or even a two-bedroom suite, which I was lucky enough to find in NYC, the second leg of our trip.

If this is not possible I'll just get a couple separate rooms somewhere but it would be nice to be able to all share the same living quarters.

The purpose of visiting Boston is to see a game or two at Fenway Park next June.

Thanks for any advice!

Sandi

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Sandi

Would also consider bed and breakfast options for Boston. Are there any suggestions for one convenient to the public transportation in Boston?

Thanks again,
Sandi

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:22 AM
gail

I am searching the recesses of my brain and can not come up with a hotel for you - we have found that it is difficult to find real suite (not just an alcove) in many cities for our family - they seem to be more clustered near airports and suburbs.

Don't know relationship of 5 adults, but would 2 adjoining rooms do it?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Sandi

Gail,

Hello... thanks for trying to think of something for me. I've been searching this forum for quite a while now. We are five ladies traveling to Boston (and New York) to see our beloved Cardinals take on the Red Sox and Yankees next June.

Two separate rooms will probably end up being our best option for Boston.

I thought maybe a small inn or b&b might be fun.... any suggestions for something like that? We'd need easy access to the "T" and just a generally nice neighborhood.

Thanks!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:55 AM
xx

Sandi,
Check out the Newbury Guest House on Newbury St. It's in a GREAT location and is near several T stops. It's not too far of a walk to Fenway either if you choose to walk there. I've never stayed there, but have heard great things about it and the location can't be beat IMO.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:13 AM
gail

Now you have me intrigued by the question - especially since you are female baseball fans (as I am). I will continue to give this some thought, but some things that come to mind now - first, stay in Boston proper, not outlying areas. With 5 people, cabs are difficult so be sure to stay near MBTA. Boston is relatively safe for a city, but be sure to check out where you are staying (lots of help on this board).

While Priceline has its pros and cons, you might, if you can't find what you want, book a cancellable hotel and about 6-8 weeks before arrival start playing around on Priceline where you should be able to get 2 rooms for price of even internet rate of 1 room (we do this when travelling with our 2 teenagers). We have been successful calling hotel directly after reserving and getting adjoining rooms.

One problem with some in-city suites is that they often have only 1 bathroom. No matter how close the friends are, 5 women in one bathroom can be a problem on vacation.

PS - Sorry the Cardinals are not in the World series; I was rooting for them.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Sandi

Gail,
Do you know of the John Jeffries House? It seems to be a popular choice here. I will call them to check prices and such.

I have actually been to Boston about seven years ago but I need a refresher course on different areas of town. I remember using the Subway system though, it was a great friend to my feet.

It was a very sad ending to an amazing season for the Cardinals. But I still love 'em and can't wait till next year. I went to Montreal this past April to see them play the Expos and it was a great trip. That's why I've decided to try and see more road games next year.

The Newburry House sounds interesting also. Thanks for the help!

Sandi

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Eric

I know the Swissotel in downtown boston has suites, though I am not sure if they would sleep 5 adults comfortably or how they are set up. It may be worth a try to call and find out. The hotel is centrally located near the Downtown Crossing area.

Good Luck!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Jen in NH

I stayed at the Omni Parker House for my birthday, and we had a beautiful suite that featured two double beds, a pull-out sofa bed with a double mattress, and plenty of room for four adults not to trip over each other. This is a stone's throw from the Government Center and Park Street MBTA stations, plus it's in the middle of some great shopping. I highly recommend it. This is the oldest continually operating hotel in the US (according to them)and famous authors such as Charles Dickens have stayed there. This interests me as an English teacher, but maybe sports fans won't care so much!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Leslie

The Parker House is also famous for developing the Boston Cream Pie, which is actually a cake and Parker House Rolls.

The Swissotel has suites as does the Ritz, but I don't know your price range. You might also consider the Westin and the Hilton in Back Bay. The rooms at both the Westin and Hilton are spacious.

If you do consider Priceline and are on a budget, I strongly suggest you consider bidding on the 3 star hotels at Logan Airport, which are the Hyatt Harborside and Hilton at the Airport. Both have free shuttle service to the Blue Line T station at the airport, or else you can use the T buses. From the Airport T station to Government Center, it would take 10 minutes on the T. At Government Center you can switch to the green line to get to Fenway Park. Also the Hilton at the Airport has free shuttle service to downtown Boston and South Station. If you take the Framingham/Worcester commuter rail, it does stop at Fenway Park on game days.

You can frequently get hotel rooms at the airport on Priceline in the range of $40 to $70 per night. Each room would accommodate at least 2 guests comfortably, and 4 guests if you get rooms with 2 queen size beds (which is the more frequent bedding option).

Lastly, the Doubletree Suites at the Bayside Exposition Center, does provide free shuttle service into downtown Boston and the Quincy Market, but I would select that hotel only if you're desperate, as there is nothing to do in that area at night, but then if the price is right its a good deal because of the free shuttle service.

If you need any more information on Boston or hotels, feel free to email me, as I work in Boston and have even stayed at some of the hotels (Westin, Hilton Back Bay, Hyatt Harborside and Hilton at the Airport).

Lastly, the MBTA/commuter rail has a website, just do a search on "MBTA" and you'll be able to find schedules and maps. And look into buying a MBTA pass for a week. The cost is $17 for unlimited use, including the MBTA ferries, in case you want to see the USS Constitution in Charlestown. An unlimited day pass costs $7.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:31 AM
ann

Sandi, If you're interested in inns take a look at the Bertram Inn in Brookline. The URL is www.bertraminn.com. It's one short block from the C line T, just outside Cooledge Corner, lovely neighborhood, and walking distance to Fenway Park (if you're a walker). The ride into central Boston via T is probably less than 10 min.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Sandi

Jen, Ann, Eric, and Leslie,

Thanks for your further replies to my thread. There are so many places to choose from. The Beltram Inn looks very nice. It seems odd to find a B&B with ten rooms and ALL with private baths. I am also considering the Marriott at Copley Place, got a pretty decent rate there. My decision is depending mostly on the final number of people agreeing to take this trip with me.

Jen, about a sports fan probably not being interested in where Charles Dickens may have stayed, that is not the case for me. I'm fond of historical sites very much.

Thanks a lot!
Sandi

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Sam

If you like history, you'll love the Parker House! In addition to Charles Dickens, the rolls and the pie-that's-really-a-cake (which is the official state dessert):

The Parker House is the oldest hotel in continuous operation in the US, and (one of?) the first to have hot and cold running water.

John Wilkes Booth stayed at the Parker House a week before he shot Lincoln (his brother was in a play in town).

In 1953, John F. Kennedy announced his run for Congress in a room henceforth known as the Press Room.

Ho Chi Minh worked as a busboy there, and Malcolm X was a waiter.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Cindy

Warning about the subway after ball games - it is extremely crowded,and if your friends are anything like mine, we're all a touch claustrophobic! Last game we went to my friend refused to get on the subway, so we walked to the next stop which was even worse, then to the next one which had people backed up the entrance (it was about 10PM, time for all the Yuppies to go out and party). I think if I was going to try to do what you have planned I'd stay at one of the nice hotels near the Prudential Center. I think you could walk back. Also there is great shopping there (but it is a pricey area). I travel every year with girlfriends to NYC and we always end up in multiple rooms. It is just impossible to find suites in the city, unless you don't mind sleeping on a sofa bed (which I hate).