Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for August Itinerary in Colorado?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a 6 day trip to Colorado in mid-August. We are looking for one or two locations to spend the time there, places that have beautiful scenary and fun but not too exhausting hikes. Some thoughts so far include Colorado Springs and Breckenridge, or Estes Park and Vail. Not trying to break the bank, but we're not aiming to make this a budget trip, either. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
DTK
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 07:22 PM

These are hard to respond to because it is very vague. . Estes Park probably would still be pretty touristy at that time. But I am not a big fan of Esters Park either but many are. Breckenridge would be nice stop and meet your requirement and provide a wide range of activities. Add Aspen via Glenwood Springs would be very scenic. And then return via Independence Pass and Leadville to Denver. Give you some great views of Colorado without a lot of driving.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 03:38 AM

I would go the other direction Mesa Verde and Durango. You could go to Pagosa Springs or Great Sand Dunes as well. Stay in Durango for 2 or 3 nights. Ride the train, head to Mesa Verde for a day. You could stay in Mesa Verde if you wanted to spend more than a day there. Petroglyph Point Trail is the best hiking trail in Mesa Verde. If your budget permitted, ziplinning on the train is an outstanding full day event. price is about $300pp, but it is worth it. that included ziplinning, train ride and very good lunch. The Palmer and The Strater are two historical hotels in Durango that are neat place to stay. but there is a lot of lodging in Durango.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:46 AM

With a six day trip, Durango is a two full days of travel if not a bit more if you stop to look at anything. The Breckenridge/Aspen loop would only use about 8 to 10 hours of totat travel.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your input. Building off of these suggestions, was thinking we would do 2 or 3 nights in Breckenridge, 2 or 3 nights in Aspen and then last night in Denver before flying back out. Some questions:

1) Between Aspen and Breckenridge, which one would you spend the extra night at?

2) For the route fmpden recommended, do you need 4WD or a special car or are the main roads fine for all cars?

3) Do we need a car once we get back to Denver, or is it possible to walk/take public transportation/cab around the city for a day?

4) Any must-see side trips we should do from Aspen or Breckenridge?

Thanks!
DTK
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 09:11 AM

IMHO
1. Aspen - Strictly personal opinion--probably because I don't get there as often as I do to Breck

2. a regular car is fine for the route frmpden mentioned

3. depends on where you stay and what you want to do--if you stay in a hotel downtown or in the Cherry Creek area, plenty of restaurants in both areas. Plenty of shopping-especially in Cherry Creek. Cab to the airport is about $60--but I assume at least some hotels have shuttles.

4. some suggestions- from Aspen-Marroon Bells http://tinyurl.com/6ju36z, Redstone/Marble http://www.redstonecolorado.com/ http://www.marbletourismassociation.org/

from Breckenridge--Boreas Pass Road
http://tinyurl.com/5q86bq
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 09:40 AM

You could easily spend all 6 days in one location. But for two, I'd go to Breck for 3 days (or anywhere in Summit County) and then 3 in Aspen. Return via Independence Pass, my favorite mountain drive.

The drive from Summit County to Aspen through Glenwood Canyon is beautiful. In Aspen, be sure to go to Marroon Bells for a hike and picnic.

You can get excellent values on accommodations on www.vrbo.com.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM

I think it is a toss up as to where you spend your extra night. My personal preference is Breckenridge but others go nuts over Aspen. The Aspen today is not the Aspen that many people remember from yesterday.

You do not need a car for downtown Denver or even Cherry Creek. CC is much quieter, smaller, and somewhat up scale with a large, upscale, enclosed shopping mall -- if that appeals to you. It is about four, five miles SE of the downtown area. Downtown Denver has a long, over a mile, mall with free shuttle buses running the length. Most restaurants and other activities are within a couple either direction of the mall.

I am unaware of any hotel in either downtown Denver or CCreek that provides a free shuttle to the airport. I think the Super Shuttle fare from a downtown hotel is $19 and assume it would nearly the same for CC. Given normal traffic, the airport is a good 30 minutes from downtown and probably close to an hour on any shuttle service.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:52 PM

The Mariott in CC has an airport shuttle and also the Public Bus System has a Skyride bus thingy. There is more info on RTD website
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM

One other idea, if you have an extra night between Breck & Aspen, think about Glenwood Springs. The hot springs pool there is one of our favorite spots. The Hot Springs Lodge should include free passes to the pool.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 07:43 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with BetsyG!!!

Before I even read her post I was thinking the same thing. Lodging is definately more reasonable if you don't want to break the bank; you can swim in the world's largest hot springs pool; visit Doc Holliday's grave; raft the Colorado River; bike down through the canyon; hike up to Hanging Lake; and on and on.

Matter of fact I'll go even further and suggest you forgo staying in Aspen (I don't understand why anyone would want to stay in Aspen in the summer anyhow...other than to say they stayed in Aspen), and make Glenwood Springs your base for a couple of days. Do Aspen as a day trip, along with Redstone and Marble for another day trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:48 AM

This is one of the things that drives me nuts about the forums: "I don't know why anyone would want to stay in Aspen in the summer..." So a poor visitor thinks Aspen isn't worth a visit in the summer! Huh?! There's Winter Aspen and there's Summer Aspen. I'll take summer Aspen anytime! There are so many things to do and it's just beautiful and a lot less crowded (and muddy). Aspen has wonderful music festivals going nearly all the time. There are scores of hiking trails and bike trails not to mention shopping and dining and drinking and swimming and rafting and horseback riding. And it's a lot more affordable in Summer. If I had to choose between Glenwood Springs, Aspen and Estes Park, it would be an absolute no brainer.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM

I agree with you Grasshopper, it would be Glenwood Springs -- hands down !!!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM

I never said Aspen wasn't worth a visit. Even suggested it as a day trip.

I did question staying there.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 01:00 PM

MY vote would be Breckenridge the first two nights.
-There are plenty of things to do that don't cost a thing - hiking is abundant. There are many excellent hiking and bike trails around Dillon Reservoir and all around Breckenridge. The views are spectacular! A favorite for us was watching the sun set over Dillon Reservoir from Sapphire Point (From Breck - Hwy 9 toward Frisco and right on Swan Mountain Road) Look for Swan Mountain Recreation Area on the left. There are all kinds of fun (for pay) activities set up near the entrance to the lifts, downhill mountain biking, Alpine Slides, etc. Kind of an upscale carnival atmosphere. We like The Ore House in Frisco for great mountain trout (order the pan fried). Our favorite dinner was at Cafe Alpine in Breckenridge.
On Day three, leave Breck early and drive to Leadville. Have breakfast at the Golden Burro. They have a live webcam. Call your friends back home and wave to them. Then drive over Independence Pass to Aspen. The drive is awesome! Allow plenty of time for picture stops. You can be in Aspen for lunch. Allow one day to go to the Maroon Bells. Take a picnic. You might want to check out renting a bike. You can take it to the top on the bus, then ride it down. You could spend your fifth night in Glenwood Springs. A raft trip would be fun, even though the water is "well behaved" that time of year. The canyon is awesome!
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM

You can't go wrong with Estes Park and RMNP. By mid-August accomodations are easier to find.

Susan
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

You guys are great -- thanks for all the helpful advice. We are now planning to land in Denver, drive directly to Breckenridge and spend 2 nights, then drive to Aspen and spend three nights, bfore returning to Denver for one night.

Let me ask a practical question -- from an altitude sickness perspective, are we asking for trouble by going to Breckenridge the day we land? (we are from New York) I realize it is hard to predict how people will react to elevation -- but curious people's general reaction here (i.e., would you do it?).

Thanks!
DTK200
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM

IF you are going to have problems with altitude sickness it will not make any difference if you go directly to Breckenridge or not. Altitude sickness is very poorly understood. You can go to altitude five times, be fine the first four times and sick as dog the fifth. A normally health person does not have problem but if your breathing is restricted in anyway the potential for problems is greater. Adjustment is slow -- approximately one day or a bit more for every 1000 foot gain. So spending a night in Denver will not do much for you. Usual advice -- avoid the booze, drink lots of water, take an aspirin and call me in the morning.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

We are so looking forward to our trip! One more question -- it looks like it is going to rain the day we return from Aspen to Denver. Should we drive the Independence Pass on the way to Aspen, or is there a reason everyone suggests that we drive it back to Denver?

Thanks!
David
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 07:14 PM

It is extremely difficult to predict weather in the mountains. It could be raining in Denver and sunny in Aspen. I would stick with your original plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -