Suggestions for 4th of July trip to a place that won't have massive crowds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 5 days for a trip over the 4th of July (Thursday-Monday). Looking for somewhere to go where there won't be tons of people. We are history buffs and would like to visit a historical area. We considered Williamsburg, Monticello, and other Civil War sites in the area, but decided the crowds would be too large. Can anyone suggest another historical area that won't be so crowded?
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Find the most boring and meaningless historic site you can. That's about the only reason that it wouldn't be busy on such a weekend -- that nobody else would want to go there.

Sorry if this sounds so blunt, but I can't think of any other way to put it.
Sort of like saying "we want a really fantastic restaurant on Mother's Day that won't be crowded"
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:01 PM

England shouldn't be too crowded on the 4th!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:43 PM

If I might suggest... how about Baltimore? People are still scared of the city for various reasons (looks scary when you pass by on the train). The Inner Harbor for sure will be a mob scene (and only dates from the 80s) but there are historical parts of the city such as Mount Vernon, Federal Hill and Fell's Point that don't get as
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:50 PM

If I might suggest... how about Baltimore? People are still scared of the city for various reasons (looks scary when you pass by on the train, homicide statistics, etc...), so I think that helps keep the city from being overwhelmed. A lot of people tend to think more DC or Philly for July 4th celebrations too. The touristy Inner Harbor for sure will be a mob scene (and only dates from the 80s) but there are historical parts of the city such as Mount Vernon, Federal Hill and to a lesser extent Fell's Point that don't get as many visitors. It also probably doesn't get quite the mobs because it's not as old as somewhere like Colonial Williamsburg for sure, but it does date from the 1700s and major players in US history certainly were there (Harriet Tubman, Francis Scott Key, Frederick Douglas).
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:15 PM

I celebrate every Fourth of July in Canada. If you avoid Jazz Fest in Montreal (when it will be crowded), both Montreal or Toronto can be great.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to those of you who responded. I guess you are right Patrick, crowds will be the norm at all of the major historic sights.

We also enjoy visiting National Parks, but I'm sure they will all be crowded also.

We have been to Baltimore and are going to Toronto in September. I'll check into Montreal, but not sure about the price of flights from our area.

Maybe we'll just wait and see what last minute low priced airfare is offered and plan something at the last minute to a less popular destination.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:29 PM

FYI - Your 4th of July weekend is Canada's Canada Day (July 1st) weekend.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Why fight it? Go see the big city fireworks somewhere on the 4th and do your historical tour at another time.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:31 AM

How about Branson, MO? On the thread of places you'd like to go least, Fodorites voted this place most popular.

Shouldn't be too crowded then...
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:13 AM

we go to the adirondacks every 4th of july week - it's never crowded and very peaceful - we stay in between Inlet and Old Forge.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM

We spent a recent 4th at the Black Hills. Surprisingly, Mount Rushmore was not that packed and they had an incredible fireworks display right over the heads. There is some nice hiking through the granite spires of the Black Hills. The Badlands and Deadwood, SD are an hour away.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:16 PM

tpatricco - bad news, but Branson will be packed to the gills over the Fourth of July. Take it from someone who lives 30 miles away - don't go there if you want to avoid the crowds.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Travelmom45: We went to Mt. Rushmore, the Black Hills, Crazy Horse, the Badlands and Deadwood last year over Memorial Day weekend. Isn't it a neat area to visit? So much to see in a relatively small area.

Radiofanatic: I just looked at a map of New York. What city would we fly into to visit the Adirondacks? What is there to do?

Beckers2482: Don't worry, we won't be visiting Branson. It is a place I have no desire to go to.

What about New Mexico? We would love to visit Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Not sure if 5 days would be enough time.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Charlottetown ???

(but arrive after the 1st !!)

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like to hear from other Williamsburg residents but in my opinion Colonial Williamsburg is not as crowded over the 4th as you would expect. The Grand Illumination in Dec.,yes, has hoards of people. Unless you are planning on going to Busch Gardens or Water Country, I don't think you would be bothered by the crowds. There are so many hotels that you can always find a room and you can make tavern reservations now to get in. Do the tours in the morning and eventing which you will want to do anyway because of the heat. Drive the parkway and around Jamestown Island Nat. Park during mid-day. Take a trip out to the plantations on Rt.5. They are rarely crowded. We go to the fireworks every year in CW. My husband hates crowds but it has never been bad enough to prevent him from going. Do a search. There is more info here on CW's 4th
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 03:20 AM

Dunkirk/Fredonia, NY, right on Lake Erie. Such a beautiful place in summer! Cherry picking, vineyards, plenty of bicycling.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 03:54 AM

Old Salem in Winston Salem, NC probably won't be terribly crowded. There are a number of events planned as this is where the first celebration of the Fourth was held. This is an exceptional historical recreation (in fact, many of the buildings are original and are only refurbished) of the eighteenth and nineteenth century homes and businesses. Old Salem was built by Moravian settlers from Pennsylvania. Winston-Salem has three historically significant areas (Bethabara and Bethania), quick access to the Blue Ridge Parkway, good hiking and enough good restaurants to keep you entertained. Come on down.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

cmcfong - Thanks for the info. on old Salem. This is a place we have never considered visiting. I will do some more research. How far is it from Charlotte? I think we might be able to get a good price now on USAirways.

Stephanie - Thanks for suggesting Dunkirk/Fredonia. I just looked at a map and see it is near Niagara Falls. We are going there in Sept. so I don't think I want to go to this same area in July, but thanks for the info for future reference.

Birdie - I was quite interested in your post regarding Williamsburg. I assumed it would be very crowded for the 4th. We may rethink our plans. As part of this trip we would also want to visit Monticello. We can combine either the 2 days prior or after the 4th of July weekend for a 5 day vacation. Can anyone suggest which day would be best to visit Monticello?
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:22 PM

mlm59, Old Salem is a straight shot up I-85 from CLT, take the 52N exit and there will be signs for Old Salem. I recommend the Brookstown Inn nearby for overnight. About an hour and a half from CLT.

By the way, not too far north in VA is the birthplace of JEB Stuart and the area itself is famous as the sources of the song "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -