Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions? Anyone? Need a 3 day trip out of Texas for a pregnant woman and husband WITHOUT THE 2 year old!! HELP!!

Search

Suggestions? Anyone? Need a 3 day trip out of Texas for a pregnant woman and husband WITHOUT THE 2 year old!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 08:41 PM
Julie

I'm at a complete loss here and will gladly take advice from total strangers!

We have free roundtrip airfare to anywhere in the cont. US to use this fall. We'd like to travel in September or October when I'll be 6-7 months pregnant. We'd like to go somewhere we haven't been before (San Francisco, LA, San Diego, JAX, Orlando, Wash DC, Philly, Denver, New Orleans and NYC) We're outdoor, adventure travelers but also enjoy pounding pavement and sightseeing. Is there a city spot or relaxation spot that anyone can recommend for a 3 day getaway? Considering it's a short trip I'm thinking not the northern east and west coasts as that would take too much travel time from central Texas. Any recomendations appreciated.

TIA

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 06:33 AM
lisa

How about the southwest -- Sedona AZ or Santa Fe NM? Or Florida -- Key West or South Beach?

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 06:46 AM
Michael

Two words for ya, Chi town. Flight is less than 3 hours, lots to see and do, and it is also flat walking which would easier on you with the little one on the way.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Mary Sue

What about Charleston or Savannah? They are both lovely cities with lots to see. Great restaurants and nice places to stay. Lisa's suggestions of Sedona or Santa Fe would be great too.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Julie

Thanks for the suggestions. I now have a list to work from!

Off to research!

Julie

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 02:38 PM
kam

How about adding Seattle to that list? We just returned from a 4 day weekend there and it was great fun. Easy to get around and you can take a ferry to Victoria or the San Juans.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 03:09 PM
Michele

Julie: I'm hearing ya girlfriend--I have a 12 yo and a 2 yo and before my vacation last week, I'd gladly have asked total strangers if I could live with them for a weekend, just to get away....

I'd vote for Santa Fe, NM too. Great food, good for a short trip. Hotels have good (even luxurious)accommodations and there are nice things to do that are not too strenuous--window shopping in the plaza and visiting art galleries, the National Forest (for a hike), theatre, music, museums. Many of the hotels have masseuses, etc. to pamper yourself after a nice long day...before eating at Santacafe or Geronimo's, yum!

I really enjoyed 4 days in Seattle, WA. There's a lot to do and once again the food is good and varied, and if you get tired, you can take a boat/ferry ride to see the orcas. However, this trip works with kids too, so you might want to save it for a family adventure.

I'd say ditto for San Fran--good for doing with the kids--but you CAN always come back with them later.

My mom would vote for New Orleans, but I've never been. She says the entire town is worth seeing without kids, since you'd want to go to the music/bars.

How about Santa Barbara? A very cute town with the beach and good restaurants and a good place to do some driving along the coast.

On that note, one of my favorite hubby only things is to see Carmel, CA and Monterey, CA. A very romantic, relaxing place with lots to see and do. I kayaked while pregnant and felt it was one of the things that I could still do with a tummy (sitting!), and it was very beautiful seeing the ocean and the coastline, gliding along the water. If you do, the most romantic restaurant, by far I've ever been to is Casanova's in Carmel....darling town!

Have a wonderful few days!!!!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 04:59 PM
kam

If you want to see Carmel, fly into San Jose rather than SFO. SWA has flights from Texas, but don't know about Austin. From SJ it's about 1 hour to Carmel. The kayaking mentioned above is out of Monterey, however, and you will be among the sea otters--a great way to spend an afternoon. You can also lose yourself in the Pt. Lobos St. Park which gives you a great feel for the Big Sur area.