Suggestion for Hotel While Visiting Reagan Library in Simi Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got inkling to take a ride from the Bay Area to see the Reagan Library in Simi Valley. Thought I’d go mid-week and grab a hotel on Priceline. Checked Biddingfortravel and nothing comes up. Also, looked at Hotwire and can get something in the $90 price range. Really just looking for a place to hang my hat that night and get on back to the Bay Area in the morning. For anyone knowing the area, could I make Westlake Village an option? Suggestion for a casual dinner (dining alone)?
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Hi Tray, not too familiar with the area as we've only visited the library once, but it is wonderful! One of the best IMO and we've visited most of them. As you likely know (but so many don't) Presidential Libraries are not like a typical library, but are comprehensive museums and memorials, often with birthplaces on property (nixon's) and gravesites (nixon & reagan).

Anyway, enough of my plug for prez. libraries!
We stayed at Posada Royale, a Clarion Resort (at least it was in 2001) and it was a quick drive to the library. Beautiful hotel and grounds, hot bfst buffet, nice outdoor pool & spa. Don't recall the rate but we try to sleep as moderate as possible so it must have been reasonable, and we didn't go through priceline.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 06:45 PM

The docents at the library are wonderful and you are in for a treat! Call ahead and see if they are having any special events or guests close to the time you want to go, so you aren't kicking yourself later! (The day before we were there Michael Reagan had been there signing books. I'm not a fan of his, but it could have been neat to be there when a family member was there.) I would call the museum and ask for advice about where to stay... I don't remember anywhere close by, the library is surrounded by freeways and it's kind of in a residential section. Although I saw a few hotels, I can't remember which looked decent. Good luck!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I can get the Posada Royale for $110. Looks great but still checking for something a little more reasonable. Striking out on Priceline. Yes, I did check for some upcoming events. Looks like there is a big party for President Reagan's 94th B'Day this Sunday. I just may wake up tomorrow and get in my car and GO. But then again, I may wait for Wednesday, the day his postage stamp comes out. Seems to be an event at the library. I'd consider President's Day but don't want to be driving the LA route on a holiday. Looking forward to a day "alone" as my homelife is a bit hectic at the moment.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Yes, Westlake Village would be perfect for hitting the road in the morning if you've found a decent rate there, if you're going up the 101.