Suggesstions for 5 day getaway

Old Dec 27th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggesstions for 5 day getaway

Looking for a destination suggestion for a 4 to 5 day mini-vacation we can drive to. Live in a Phila. suburb and travelling the week of Jan.19th. Places we have thought of seem to close down after the holidays. Been to Williamsburg, Hilton Head, Charleston & Savannah in past years. We are in our mid-sixties and enjoy quaint towns, antiquing, shopping for craft items, etc. known to the area. Don't believe we want to go North because of weather. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 05:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the Amtrak Crescent to New Orleans. Roomette if you can afford it. Spend a few hours in NOL (maybe overnight) and then rent a car to go to Baton Rouge and other quaint towns in northern Louisiana. Fly home from New Orleans if you didn't like the train experience.
You can either book by phone (1800USARAIL) or go online to amtrak.com
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 05:44 AM

How long are you willing to drive to reach your destination - 8 hrs., 10, hrs., 12 hrs., more????

You can get to St. Augustine, FL in 13 to 14 hours drive time.

Hint: Let's ay you want to drive no more than 12 hours. Go to Google Maps and put in Philadelphia as your starting point and say Savannah as your destination. You'll get a good idea of the driving distance & time (in this example, about 720 miles and about 11 to 12 hours drive time depending on route). Use that as a guide then draw an imaginary circle using the drive distance of the radius. You'll be able to see what cities & places are within a 12 hour or so drive of Philadelphia. Use the "click & drag" feature to change the destination to other cities along to get exact milage & drive times to those pl;aces which interest you.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 05:55 PM

RoamsAround gave you great advice.

Look at Asheville, NC. It may be different for you.

I used to live in Charleston. I go there every chance I get.
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding. Took suggestions and think we would like the Gaitlinsburg/Smokey Mts.area. From there we could travel to Asheville too. What about the weather conditions? Looks like many shows, etc.are closed after the New Year. Any suggestions as to what to do in that general area
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 04:30 AM

I think the drive over the mountain (main road thru the smokies)to Ashville will be closed in the winter. Try the French Broad Chocolate place in Asheville for an afternoon treat.