Reload this Page >

Need advise on route to Natchez from the coast and on my itinerary

Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings from Italy.
I am planning a trip to deep South for January 2015.
I will be flying out from Milan to Charlotte NC via Toronto with Air Canada and will fly out from New Orleans to Milan always via Toronto with Air Canada on my way back.
I plan to visit and stop in Charleston SC, Savannah GA, St. Augustine FL, Apalachicola FL, Mobile AL, New Orleans and Natchez MS.
Now my question is: is it a scenic drive from Mobile to Natchez via route nr 98 and nr 84 or is it better to continue to New Orleans and drive from there to Natchez ? we plan to stay in Natchez one night only. I have seen thai I could also drive a little more and take US49 from Gulfort or Biloxi.
And by the way, what do you think of my itinerary? We plan to land in Charlotte on January 10 and depart from Nola on January 20 in the evening. We love panoramic routes, nature, landscapes and little villages more than big towns and enjoy good food and wine.
Thank you and kind regards from a sunny Valsolda

P.S.We would have also another option. Fly to Charleston SC via New york with Delta from Milan but I have been told to avoid New York airports in January because of snow.
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 05:07 AM

You have 7 places, MILES and MILES apart in 10 days. It really isn't even a "drive by". ridiculous unattainable itinerary.

You can save the 3 hour drive to Charleston from Charlotte, IF you want to.
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen, thank you for your kind and useful reply....
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 09:49 AM

Pastis--

Re your itinerary first: To expand on what Gretchen said, you're trying to do "see" eight different cities in six different states in ten days. You will not really be able to see anything at that rate. Taking the expressways, you will consume around 23 hours in drive time alone if you have great conditions. Taking scenic routes ??? Who knows?

You are coming in January; the weather is very "iffY" at that time of the year in the southeast--possible snow, sleet or ice storms on one day, more likely rain on several days. The South is not prepared for snow, sleet or ice so traffic will come to a complete stop if that happens. It will slow down a lot in the rain.

At a minimum, I would eliminate Apalachicola and Natchez because they are quite a bit out of your route and drive straight across Florida on I-10 from St. Augustine to NOLA or, better yet, fly either from there or from Jacksonville to NOLA. You don't need a car in NOLA; get a tour of some of the plantations along the Mississippi instead of trying to get to Natchez.

Better yet, though, at that time of year I would drive from Charlotte down the Atlantic Coast (stopping at the Sea Islands as well as Charleston and Savannah) to St. Augustine and fly back from Jacksonville. That would easily take ten days.

OR fly round trip to and from NOLA, spend three or four days there, get a car and drive south and west of NOLA to Lafayette, spend a couple of days around there (Cajun country, bayous and wildlife), then north to Natchez. That would easily take ten days.

Either of those would offer you more panoramic routes, nature, small towns, etc. than what you are thinking of doing, only because you will have to spend most of your drive time on the interstates.

Again, keep in mind that unless you go farther south in Florida, the weather is likely to be cold and rainy.

Finally, if, notwithstanding the above, you still want an answer to your first question, go to New Orleans and take Highway 61 to Natchez, stopping at St. Francisville, LA, on the way. Very attractive small town and not a bad drive. This would be much less driving than to drive from Mobile.
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 04:34 AM

I wish to address OP post script:

P.S.We would have also another option. Fly to Charleston SC via New york with Delta from Milan but I have been told to avoid New York airports in January because of snow.

Toronto could be snowed in as well!
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Scotia, I have been told that Toronto airport is better organized for snow and less flights are cancelled. Is it true?
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Hmmmm. We will have to wait and see! If I recall there was a real mess at Toronto Airport this past winter. Perhaps another Foderite can refresh my memory or answer your question more accurately.
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Sctia, the fare is more or less the same and in terms of time there isn't a big difference. Unfortunately the US Airways via Miami from Milan is no longer active.
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 01:52 PM

Please plan your air trip by what is the best connection/shortest time, etc. You cannot predict the weather--and weather a LONG way away from X airport can affect it just as much.