Subways , New York City

Search

Subways , New York City

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subways , New York City

Just got the bad news from my doctor that I must limit my walking in New York, due to a knee injury. We have not used the subways in the past. Are they better than the city buses, if a taxi is not available?
I remember seeing a recommendation for a good subway map. Where would I purchase one?
Thanks for your help. I love walking everywhere in New York , but I am not going to let this setback spoil my trip.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:08 PM

IMHO (as an occsional tourist), you'd be better-off getting a copy of the very good official bus map. The subways involve stairs, hikes, and uncertainty. If the bus doesn't come, you can hail a cab! Most (perhaps all) of the buses can lower the front step and lift you up, if the climb up onto the bus is a problem.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Taxis' are everytwhere abnd consequently clog up the streets. We ahve walked faster than the taxis drive sometimes. I vote for the subway as it is fast and chep. Subway maps are in the "what to do in NYC" books which are at every hotel also any book at Barnes and NObel that deals with NYC will have a subway map. You might try on line....subway maps NYC....
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:11 PM

if your MD limited your walking due to a knee problem, I'd ask if going down a flight of stairs and then up again to use the subways is recommended.

If you do have to negotiate stairs, sideways (facing the railing) can be easier on your knees.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:18 PM

In general subways are much faster and more efficient than buses. Most most staions do have stairs - usually 2 flights but sometimes more. If that is a problem stick with the buses - which have only a couple of steps. And if necessary do have a lift at the back door - but these are usually used only for wheelchairs.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:21 PM

NYC buses can be extraordinarily slow -- a recent study indicated an average speed of just under 4 miles per hour!

Therefore, depending on the time of day, the subway may be your best bet (and faster than cabs as well) if you can handle the stairs.

Maps are free and are available at most stations (particularly the larger ones).

Good luck!

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:26 PM

I would add to the above comments that within the subway system you must often do a LOT of walking. Stairs can be an issue too, but there are many places where when you change trains, it feels like you might have well walked there instead. And don't forget that someplaces where you enter down into the subway can be blocks away from where you actually get the train.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:09 PM

Are you taking (and I'm sure I won't spell this right) Glucosamine and Chrondrotin? It has worked so well for my knee. It's a food suppliment and helps rebuild the cartilage. It helped my Mother after she broke her hip and my knee is so much better.

Ok that said, you can get a subway map online from the MTA and you can get pocket guides all over the city at tourist shops and for example at the gift shop at the Empire State Building. Lots of Staple stores also carry them.

If you are trying to get somewhere quickly, then take the subway, it's usually the fastest way to travel in the city, especially during the day. If you can take your time, then take the bus, that way you get a nice view of the city going by.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 03:56 AM

One last thing on subways vs. buses (if the stairs are manageable): subways are best for getting uptown and downtown; buses are usually best for going crosstown (because the subways mostly don't go crosstown, except for the 14th St. L train.) Trying to go a long distance uptown or downtown on a bus can take forever. Of course, crosstown buses can be slow, too -- there was an article in the NYTimes last year I believe which more or less said that the 23rd Street crosstown bus could be outrun by a pedestrian.

But, if you're going from the Upper West to the Upper East (through Central Park), a bus can get you there fairly quickly.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:49 AM

You'll do faaar far less walking using buses but they're much slower. Here's a subway map

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Here's the bus map

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Enjoy!!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:12 AM
GoTravel

While the buses are slower, they are much more pleasant than the subway because you can actually see where you are going. As Patrick said, even with the subways, there can be a fair amount of walking involved especially at Grand Central, Penn Station, and the general Times Square area.

I'd like to second the recommendation for Glucosomine. It helps to rebuild the cartilidge between your joints but it takes several weeks to several months to start working.

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:24 AM

You all have given me something to think about. I'll be visiting NYC in October with my mom and she really can't negotiate anything much more than a short flight of stairs. She has arthritis in both knees, plantar fasciitis, and a herniated disk. She's fine walking on flat ground, but inclines and long staircases are very painful for her.

I guess it will be the bus for us.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. I will try taxis and the bus if a taxi is not available. Stairs don't seem to be that much of a problems. It is walking great distances on hard surfaces. Being limited is a new experience and I need a lessson in patience. I am going to try glucosamine.