Search

subways in New York

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subways in New York

In light of recent news events, I'm wondering if anyone has changed they way they travel in New York, particularly, the subways. I'm traveling in April and planned to use the subways. It seems Intelligence reports suggest that subways in particular are a target, based on intercepted reports. Has this caused New Yorkers and change in their habits or has it changed transport options for any of your New York travelers?
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:00 AM
GoTravel

I will continue to use the subways just as I always have.

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:46 AM

We'd be less honest if we didn't report that there are a decent number of New Yorkers who are not taking the subways since the terror alerts.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:59 AM
al

It's so frigging cold lately I've actually been using the subway more than usual. Am I worried? No, not really. The subway system is so spread out that the odds of anything happening where I am at any particular time are very small, not to mention that the odds of ANYTHING AT ALL happening are very small to begin with.

You shouldn't worry either. Just keep up some good karma and, like I said on another thread, carry a small flashlight just in case the lights go out.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Howard:
Thanks for your frank reply.

Al: Come visit California for a break from the weather, its pretty here right now.

Ah, the small flashlight tip. Will do. I'm not a particularly nervous person, but the idea of being trapped underground holds a lot of anxiety for me. I just don't want my last conscious thought in New York to be "I should've taken a cab.."
<grin>
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Good advice here. I second the flaghlight recommendation -- I have my little Mag ready. And, yes, it is a little freaky right now -- in my opinion.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:42 AM

I'll keep taking them. They're a great way of getting around and, let's face it, just being in New York you're dwelling in a potential target.

By the way a few weeks back I had a scary inident using the Hoboken Path as I was waiting for a Path train, I couldn't get past the turnstiles because the card swipe thing seemed to be on the blink. I had my back turned to the tracks as I pondered what to do when the train arrived.

Anyway, all the sudden I hear the train coming and it was very loud. I turned around to see that it was coming in pretty fast, and it didn't stop, it just barreled right up the the bumper (this is the end of the line).
It was a really loud crash and some poor guy (a passenger) came flying through the window, landing 10 feet in front of me. It looked like his foot was cut off. I thought this was a potential attack and waited for the sound of gunfire, which fortunately never came. Anyway, I ran up the stairs and got a hold of police (the guy was on an ambulance in 10 minutes).

Of course I checked the nightly news for what happened and it was several minutes into the broadcast that it was mentioned with a vacuous catcher, "A wild ride for some Hoboken commuters."
Not much of an explanation followed. And people wonder how I stay well informed without ever watching the news.

I hope this story doesn't panic people, because as shaken up as I was I got on the next Path train (I kind of wonder why they were still running) and headed into the city without incident. Though I think I was freaking a group of girls out because I was clearly agitated and talking to myself as the train picked up speed.

What happened at the Path that night was an unfortunate accident, but I couldn't let it scare me off trains anymore than a car accident scares me off of driving. Life presents risks. Some risks you should avoid, but I, for one, am not going to stop going into NYC which I love so much because of some "chatter" on the Internet. Hope others feel the same.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:44 AM

I've always had underground issues. Not just subways, but tunnels too. I always take the bus and bridges (when possible). Look into the buses in NYC. They are really easy to use, and you get an inexpensive tour of the city as you ride along. They are also warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Lola

I agree with Ellen I hate tunnels and try not to take subways either.
But the buses are great ways to see the city as you get around!

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Oh my gosh, goNets!! I didn't hear about that at all. That's pretty crazy. I never take the Path (unless I'm picking up a rental car in Hoboken) but that will certainly come to mind next time!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:29 AM

I will continue to use the subways because I don't have any other option other than walking 6 miles to work in two feet of snow. Hey...didn't my grandfather used to do that every day?

I actually just got back from vacation - I was out of the country and didn't watch TV - I missed all this terror alert stuff and the war protests. I'm definitely not afraid of an attack because like most NYers I'm just too damn busy to think about it.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 07:11 AM

My first quetion that comes to mind, since you state in a later post that you are in California (wish I was), is how you intend on getting to NYC? Is there any form of mass transit (trains, planes or buses) that aren't figured into high risk categories? I agree with be cautious but when we start changing the way we live our lives around the fear created by these people, we are giving them exactly the fear-based society that they want.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

oops.. sorry I missed this post earlier. Well, I realize the plane is also high risk. I'm not trying to overplay the nervous thing, I just wondered what the general feel of the locals in terms of the subway. I plan to use both bus and subway and boat. I think I'm more concerned now about being caught in the middle of a demonstration (we are staying in Times Square)
Don, thanks for your words and thoughts. The reason I focused on the subway was because there were intelligence reports last Feb suggesting that communications were intercepted that specifically targeted the subway. That kind of raises the odds of the subway being the target in my mind. Didn't want to overreact, but I suppose I did anyway.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Petal - I haven't changed the way I travel around the ciy, be it subway, bus, walking or bicycle. In fact I'm way more at risk of getting doored on my bike, than caught in an attack on the subway.

Don't worry about demo's. If there is one in Times Square, you can just route around it. Also all the demos have been overwhelmingly peaceful.

A
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Your input has been reassuring and I feel informed! My trip is in a few days, I'm about to hit my atm for spending money and pack my nicest warm clothes. I'm excited and nothing is going to get in the way of having a great time!!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:17 AM

The subways and the rest of NYC have been on high alert since 9/11. I think people are going about their business as always, no major changes that I can tell. The subways are still miserably crowded at rush hour.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Well we just went to NYC for 5 great great days and we went on the subways a lot (just because it's so much easier to get around on them than on the buses).
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 09:43 AM

I took my daughter to NYC for spring break and we DID get a little antsy at times on the subway. Once we changed trains (to the car 2 spots ahead... not behind) because the scary looking nervous dude had a HEAVY bag that was about the size of a bowling bag but seemed to weigh 1000 lbs. I say do everything and follow gut instincts. Something seems out of whack... change trains at the next stop. No harm done if nothing happens, right?
Our instincts are really much better than people seem to think, you just have to pay attention and not get distracted.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 06:19 PM

the subways are in no danger of a terrorist attack. They are safe and get you everywhere. check the MTA website (www.mta.nyc.ny.us) for service updates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -