Subway from O'Hare

Jun 5th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Liz

Subway from O'Hare

I would like to know if anyone has gotten on the subway from O'hare airport. It looks fine and safe to me. I was just wondering if it is worth doing instead of a taxi or a bus. Can someone tell me some information on it. I mean we take that red line to the cubs games and that is fine, but I never traveled to rosemont and the airport on the subway system. I would appreciate anyone input.

Thanks, Liz

Jun 5th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Amy

Liz: It's perfectly safe! My only complaint is the luggage situation - too many bags is a hassle, but just a carry-on is perfect. I prefer it over a cab.

Jun 5th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Leah

Liz, I agree with Amy. The only drawback is the luggage. If you don't have much, it is the way to go. We have taken it several times on our trips. Sounds silly, but we really enjoy it. I love going through all the neighborhoods and seeing the places I don't always see when we go to Chicago. However, when we have the kids in tow and all the luggage... we do opt for a cab. Have a great time. Chicago is an amazing city....

Jun 5th, 2002, 06:37 AM
goldie

Liz
I travel often out of O'hare and I always take the Blue Line from the Loop to O'hare and back. If you have taken the Red Line, then you have seen the worst of Chicago train lines, I think. If there did exist a safety issue, I would say that you are safer on the Blue Line. Anyway, they even tend to clean the Blue Line trains more. I agree with Amy, the luggage situation could be better, but hey, you work with what you got. Carry on bags are much easier. Anyway, a train trip from Rosemont to Downtown is somewhere close to an hour, around 50 minutes I think. Like the Redline, signs are posted that inform you what stops allow you to make a free connection to annother train line. In case you don't remember, it is $1.50 for one ride $1.80 for 3 rides. A taxi to me, is just a waste of money when I can get to the same place on public transportation. Not to mention that you never know about Chicago traffic. Public trans is generally reliable. Also, many of the stops even have cameras now. But I have never had a problem. So, hope some of this helps. Enjoy

Jun 5th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Danna

As female alone I have taken the train from O'Hare to downtown(and back). Got the details out of my Frommers guidebook. No problem except for rolling the suitcase down the street the last few blocks in the rain!

Jun 5th, 2002, 07:29 AM
joe

When we used the blue line from ORD the train was sitting there waiting for us. We went to the back of the last car and had plenty of floor space for our bags and they weren't in anyone's way.

Jun 5th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Liz

Thanks for all of your replies. I will tell my husband this is the way to go and especially since we are arriving early in the morning, but at night we will be leaving after one of the day games are over and our flight is at 7:40 pm so I guess we will have to get back to airport for at least 6:00pm or 6:15pm and it is still daylight and we always just carry one carry one. The first year we started making these yearly trips back in 93 we had more luggage because we went to eat out at a couple of nice places, but now we only carry one carry on each we just shorts to go to Wrigley. I can't wait!!

Thanks, Liz

Jun 17th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Liz

Hi,

We are coming this weekend to Chicago and we are taking the l-train to chicago from O'Hare. the only thing is I know to take the blue line, but if we need to get to Michigan Ave. & Huron St. Where would we get off or connect to another subway maybe the red line and get out closest to Michigan Ave. If you know please let me know. I know it is pretty easy, but if you are familiar I would really appreciate it.

A note to Danna, that is my maiden name.

Thanks, Liz

Jul 12th, 2002, 06:02 AM
liz

I took the subway from O'hare and my husband said we should have done this a long time ago. We got on early around 9:30 am on a saturday and around five in the evening on weekday again we could not believe how safe it was. That was the best route yet to take if you want to save money and we did. Also the ride lasted about 45 mins to an hour going because so many were getting on and on to go to the city. But on the way back to airport it was in less time, because everyone was actually getting off before the last exit which was O'Hare airport. Definitely the way to go.

Liz

Jul 12th, 2002, 08:39 AM
patg

Directions on CTA for Liz-

From O'Hare, take the Blue Line to Washington Street, exit, and connect to the Red Line (north to Howard Street). This is a block long walk that has escalators, which are not always working - be sure you can manage your bags if you have to climb stairs.
Take the red line north to Chicago and State Street. Exit at the southeast corner. Walk two blocks south to Huron and two blocks east to Michigan.

Jul 18th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Randy

it's a piece of cake...rode the blue line on Tues....checkout yourcta.com!

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:04 PM
x

ttt
let's help get the word out...how easy it is to get into the city from o'hare.