Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How to take public transportation to get from Chicago O'Hare to Hotel Affinia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am flying into Chicago O'hare airport and want to take public transportation to the Hotel Affinia, which is next to the Northwestern University Medical Center. Can anyone help me? Time will not be an issue. Thanks, Karen
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM

There are several options depending on how much luggage you'll have and how far you want to walk with luggage. The CTA site www.transitchicago.com has a trip planner where you can print the directions.

If you're arriving on a weekend, you'll want to check their site for updates on reroutes due to construction. If you'll be relying on public transit, you may also want to consider a visitor pass. You can buy them at the O'Hare station. They allow unlimited rides for a 24, 48 or 72 hour period.

Follow the signs from the baggage level to the Blue Line. Exit at Jackson and transfer to the Red Line toward Howard. Exit the Red Line at Chicago Avenue (there are elevators at Chicago). Walk south on State Street 1 block (past the cathedral) and turn left. The Affinia is 3 blocks ahead on the left. It will take about 45-60 mins.

If you'll have lots of luggage or the weather is bad, you can exit the Blue Line at Clark/Lake and catch a cab for only a few dollars.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 06:22 AM

We always take the Blue Line to Clark/Lake then grab a cab. Cabs are cheap and it beats transferring.

Curious
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I will take the blue line to Clark/Lake and then take a cab from there to the Affinia. I just can no longer justify taking long cab rides from airports, even if the company is paying. First time to Chicago, and am glad to see that the mass transit system seems to be pretty good. Karen
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 10:51 AM

barbfam- I am very excited that you are about to embark on your first trip to Chicago! I hope you get a little time to see the city. DO search Fodor's for Chicago trip reports, etc.

DO post a trip report! I'll be looking for it!

Paula
(Could you tell that Chicago is my home town?)