Search

Stuck on OR coast & wine itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
Stuck on OR coast & wine itinerary

Hi,
I'm trying to finalize our itinerary for 2 weeks in OR the first two weeks in October and I'm stuck on one part.

Day 1: Leave Portland airport about 2pm and travel along Columbia River Gorge to Mt. Hood Hamlet B&B (2 nts) with dinner at Hood River before checking in

Day 2: Drive to Mt. Hood and hike the area (stay again at Mt. Hood Hamlet)

Day 3: Drive to Astoria (Cannery Pier Hotel)

Day 4: Drive to Cannon Beach area (2 nts at either Ocean's Edge B&B or Ocean Lodge)

Day 5: explore Cannon Beach area

Day 6: Drive to McMinnville (after hiking Cape Lookout trail in am.) and stay at Youngberg Hill Vineyard & Inn (1 or 2nts?. arrive on a Sat...stay different place?)

Day 7: Drive to Yachats and stay at Overleaf Resort for 2 nts (if stay in McMinnville 2 nts) or 3 nts (if stay in McMinnville 1 night)

Day 8: Yachats

Day 9: Yachats

Day 10-12: Drive to Grant's Pass...3 nights at Lodge at Riverside to visit family.

Day 13: Crater Lake Lodge 1 night (this is Oct. 16th so hope there isn't snow)

Day 14-15: Drive to Portland for 2 nts ...don't know where to stay yet

Day 16: return home

So, I'm uncertain about whether we should stay 2 nights in the Willamette Valley area or add the extra night in Yachats. I originally thought about staying 1 night in Willamette Valley, one night in Depoe Bay, and 2 nights in Yachats, but decided the Channel House didn't seem worth the money. I don't really like one night stays in places because it seems you can't really see much, but my husband isn't a big fan of touring wineries and there may be more to see along the Yachats coast. However, that time of year isn't really beach time anyway.

Welcome your thoughts!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my opinion, but other than wineries and the Air Museum in McMinnville, there isn't much in that area although you could dirve over to visit Silver Falls. So the coast might be a better option.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:25 PM

Winery hours are generally between 10:00am and 5:00pm, and it's about 1.5 hours from Cape Lookout to McMinnville. So if you do the hike that morning and grab a bite of lunch, you won't have much time for tasting that day. But, if you got a late start the next morning, there are some very nice wineries not too far off your route to the coast, so you could avoid having to spend the extra night in McMinnville.

My wife and I stayed at Youngberg Hill earlier this year. Beautiful hillside location, but a bit out in the boonies, 5-6 miles from town. Take some good reading materials and/or your laptop. Suggest either Thistle or Nick's for dinner in McMinnville.

Other thoughts....
Suggest you go with Ocean Lodge in Cannon Beach. Ocean's Edge is really in Arch Cape, a small residential community 5 miles south. No commercial services there except a small grocery-deli.

If forecast is questionable and you get a sunny day in Grants Pass, consider heading up to Crater Lake. Might be the only chance you get to actually see it.

What kind of place are you looking for in Portland?
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

passersbye,
Darn, I had just decided on Ocean's Edge over Ocean Lodge then you recommend the latter! My logic...we're also going to be staying at the Overleaf in Yachats so i thought that Ocean Lodge would be similar....large resort type hotels right on the ocean. The Ocean's Edge looked like a beautiful B&B with a more refined atmosphere and a great breakfast vs. continental at the Ocean Lodge. Yet, their ocean view suite looks over some other buildings and electrical wires it appears from the photos on Trip Advisor. Both cost about the same. I had read you still need to drive to restaurants/shopping at the Ocean Lodge...so is it really better to be in Cannon Beach rather than Arch Cape?

I'm leaning more towards 2 nights in wine country just to make it more relaxing. Would Chehalem Ridge B&B be a better option than Youngberg Hill? I definitely want to visit Domaine Drouhin.

As far as Portland, we're arriving later on Sunday so just have Monday there and want to see the Japanese Gardens, Powells and just charming neighborhoods...prefer a boutique type hotel...mid-price range.

Thanks boom_boom for your thoughts about McMinnville.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

I've just made some revisions:
After Mt Hood, we're driving to Chehalem Ridge B&B for two nights,
then to Arch Cape to stay at Ocean's Edge for 3 nights (anyone else think we should stay at Ocean Lodge in Cannon Beach instead?)
(would it be better to stay there 2 nights and 1 night at Channel House in Depoe Bay?)
then, 2 nights at Overleaf Lodge in Yachats,
3 nights in Lodge at Riverside, Grants Pass,
1 night in Crater Lake lodge
and 2 nights in Portland

I really appreciate your thoughts and recommendations on this!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 03:35 PM

Oohhh... sorry 'bout that! You're right; Ocean Lodge is about 1.5 miles from downtown Cannon Beach. But unlike in Arch Cape, there are a few restaurants and other businesses nearby, notably Stephanie Inn's dining room, and Warren House Pub. And if the weather's nice, it's a nice walk into town on the beach. You're also right about Ocean's Edge, as I believe there's a narrow road between it and the beach. Which likely means a house blocking some views. But it's hard to argue against Ocean Edge's website; the place looks beautiful! And having spent many happy summer weeks there years... errrr.. make that ages ago, I do love Arch Cape. That any help? ;-) Honestly, I don't think you can make a bad decision here.

I know exactly where it is, but have never been up to Chehalem Ridge B&B. Great view from up there! And it's closer to Newberg (and Domaine Drouhin) than Youngberg Hill is to McMinnville. But, Newberg is.... well... Newberg. Improving, but still with a few warts. Given your comments about Ocean's Edge, my guess is that Youngberg Hill is more your kind of place. The best reason for Chehalem Ridge might be that it's closer to the wineries you apparently want to visit. Since you'll have a whole day though, either place works fine. How's that? ;-)

I'd still encourage you to stop at some wineries that might fit on your route to the Yachats; Witness Tree, Cristom, St. Innocent, Bethel Heights... all good choices. If you end up going down hwy 99W from McMinnville, check out Johan Vineyards; another gem.

For Portland, why not get a little funky: http://www.northrupstation.com/. On the streetcar line in the city's popular NW shopping and dining neighborhood, and a short walk into the Pearl District. Unless you prefer a core city center location, I think it's hard to make a better choice.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM

I see I took too long in composing my last post. Back with more later.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks passerbye! Northrup Station looks great! Since we'll still have our car, the free parking is a plus but we'd rather not drive in the city, so the streetcar will be very useful.

I guess I'll stay with Ocean's Edge for the room quality and breakfast. We want to explore the coast along Cannon Beach and hike so it probably doesn't matter if we don't stay right in Cannon Beach.
I didn't realize Newberg wasn't that great of an area...I did want a great view of the Valley and both places offer that...but Chehalem doesn't have the rooms I wanted available either. I'll relook at Youngberg hill and just expect to drive more if we stay there. Thanks for the winery recommendations too!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention...also decided on just 2 nights in Cannon Beach area and one night at Channel House....the top floor rooms overlooking the ocean look too dramatic to pass up and help break up the drive to Yachats.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Not to tempt you... but did you consider Channel House's sister property: http://www.whalecoveinn.com/ ?

And since you will be visiting Domaine Drouhin, you might also be interested in Archery Summit, De Ponte, White Rose, and if your pocket book can handle it, Domaine Serene.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

passerbye, yes I did look at it but it was too costly. I've added your winery suggestions to my list...thanks!