Strictly public transportation for Boston Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I spent about 24 hours in Boston back in 2019 and have been itching to return ever since. We're finally going in mid-October and we're taking our kids (2 y/o and 17 y/o) and both sets of grandparents. We land on a Thursday at 2:30pm and leave on Sunday at 5:00, so we'll basically have 3.5 days to visit the city.

We're staying downtown at the Hyatt Regency. Due to the size of the group, one grandparent has a bad hip/leg, and we aren't packing a carseat - we're trying to travel strictly by taking the T or walking. We chose the Hyatt Regency because of the bad hip/leg - Boylston, Downtown Crossing, Chinatown, Park Street, and possibly South Station are all relatively close and wouldn't be too taxing on her to walk.

We don't have a set itinerary, but we do have a list of things we'd like to see/do (first time in Boston for half of the group):
Aquarium - Faneuil Hall / Quincy Market - Greenway
Seaport
Duck Tours
Boston Common / Public Garden
Commonwealth Ave
Fenway Tour
Italian dinner in the North End

Given the walking/T requirement, do you think we'll have any issues getting around? Also, is there anything else recommended for us to see/do?
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 08:40 AM

Hi, joshuawelsh, The T was a super way to get around but I don't know if all of the stations have elevators. Others can help or check with the transit company.

Here's my TR...not the same itinerary, but some T and getting around info:

Boston--Another Art Mission
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TDudette
Hi, joshuawelsh, The T was a super way to get around but I don't know if all of the stations have elevators. Others can help or check with the transit company.
She won't need elevators/escalators, but I'd like to limit long walks from T to attraction if possible. I took her to NYC in October 2019 and it wore her out. Granted, we were there for 24 hours and I packed in as much as possible. We exclusively rode the subway everywhere, but there were a couple times when we walked a little further than she would have liked - half a mile while keeping up with the pedestrian pace on a Saturday in Manhattan was tough on her.
We're going to spread things out and take our time so that she isn't worn out from walking, just trying to take as much precaution as possible.
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 04:47 AM

You don't sound like big history buffs but I'd recommend having information about the Freedom trail and visiting some of the sites near the hotel and other places you'll be visiting.
https://www.bostonusa.com/things-to-...m%20Trail%20(S)
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You can download an app for theFreedom Trail with lots of info. It is a walking trail but you can do different sections of it. Our kids loved it when they were young. Old North Church, etc
In the North End we like to eat at Saraceno’s on Hanover Street, wonderful seafood risotto. For dessert go to Mike’s Pastry for cannoli, Hanover St.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 12:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Seaport is a newly developed neighbor. Other than some good dining, there isn’t much for tourists to see, lots of new condos, etc.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 07:21 PM

Keep in mind that stairs into/out of T stations can be taxing, not just walking on the street. Access has improved a lot, but not every station is equipped. You can check out access by station at this page as well as link to other helpful info.

And when you get to the North End for some great Italian food (closest T station = Haymarket), stop by Modern Pastry for some of the best cannoli in town!