Strasburg Train Trip

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 06:24 PM
Susan

Strasburg Train Trip

Has anyone taken this trip? I love old trains- How was it? Was is the best time of year to go?

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 08:11 PM
Geoff Crawford

I took that ride some years ago, and would go back again in a minute. Certainly worth it. There's just a wealth of things to do in the area - I'd suggest trying to stay away from some of the really, really touristy places. But most everything else is pretty nice. Landis Valley - so/so. Ephrata Cloister - nicer, wonderful grounds. Don't miss going to the market, I like the one in Mannheim but get good directions. Dutch Wonderland - yuck. Buchanon's home - nice. Sturgis pretzel - just the best, but then I'm prejudice since my ancestor was one of the founders of the Moravian community at Lititz.

Have fun in shoe fly pie land!

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 10:56 AM
nancy

Susan, My husband and I visited that area last year and have returned several times. I think that late Sept. or early Oct. is the best time, the air is cool, crops are being harvested and acres of pumpkin patches. You pass all this on your train ride. Even an open air car, many cars to pick from. Just down the road is a huge train museum. Drive around while you're in the area on the back roads of Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse and Strasburg. Visit amish homes, they often sell their goods right from their homes. So interesting. Geoff gave you good advice..don't miss those market places. Try different foods. We're going back in the end of Sept. Can't wait!! I find such peace while I'm there. See you there!!!

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 12:35 PM
susan

thanks for the great info. can you suggest a nice place to stay? are there any bed and breakfasts?

Old Aug 22nd, 1998, 09:55 PM
Nancy

Susan, A few ideas for you- Strasburg Inn, Village Inn of Bird-in-Hand, Cameron Estate Inn in Mt. Joy and try this if you're a train lover, The Red Caboose Motel- you actually sleep in a caboose!! Beautiful views also. Check out www.800padutch.com also www.padutchinns.com. On the Fodors USA forums site enter "Strasburg" in the text search box, some interesting info. Hope this helps!