straight for the keys

Mar 11th, 2002, 03:54 PM
fran

straight for the keys

my husband and I are going to the keys in may,we are flying to miami and driving down to key west, we were going to spend our entire 6 nights in key west at an inn, should we make a stop in one of the spots and spend a night or two? islamorda (I know i mispelled it)is supposed to be interesting, any recommendations would be appreciated, mainly this trip is for r&r, thanks1

Mar 11th, 2002, 05:09 PM
susan

The first time my husband and I went to Key West we spent the night at Islamorada en route. We've never stopped there again! Not that it wasn't nice, but we just prefer Key West and it's only a 4 hour drive from Miami.

Mar 11th, 2002, 05:15 PM
scigirl

The upper keys really aren't super interesting - particularly when compared to Key West. You might even consider flying into Key West rather than driving, since a car isn't really needed in Key West.

Mar 11th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Donna

If your not a diver or snorkeler you will not enjoy the other keys that much. I being a diver go to Key Largo and Islamorada mostly, there is not much to do on the other keys. You should head straight to Key West.

Mar 11th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Jace

I disagree about not driving. I think the drive from Miami to Key West is one of the great drives in the world. You shed more & more stress with each passing mile & it's the most incredible feeling. Once you get over the 7-mile bridge, it's another world. If you leave in the morning, you can take your time and arrive in Key West well before sunset. Or if you want to stop along the way, spend a night at the Moorings on Islamorada. It's a nature preserve with luxury accommodations, and some of their rooms (cottages, actually) aren't that expensive. Either way, stop at Monte's at Mile Marker 25 for lunch or takeout fish salads & other goodies, or at the Cracked Conch Cafe on Marathon, around mile marker 47.

Right before you land in Key West is an island called Stock Island and there's a restaurant there called the Rusty Anchor (I think) where all the fishermen go.

I think you should take advantage of this wonderful drive, it's one of the best experiences in the Keys, especially if you're not rushed. There are lots of little snack bars & open-air restaurants along the way where you can stop and get fresh clams or a fish fry or some conch salad. I've been trying to get my husband to take this drive for years!

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:18 AM
George

Jace is correct. My wife and I take 3-4 days every year to go from MIA to Key West.

The trip through the Keys is to be savored, not hurried.

We put on the shorts and sandals at the airport. And from the time we leave the MIA we're on vacation. A night or two in Key Largo. Maybe stop, or not in Islamorada. Definitely overnight in Marathon.

We did do an Easter weekend once in Key West. Driving all the way down in one shot, and back again a few days later. But it's not nearly as much fun.

When we can put it together, we like to fly into MIA, and back out of Key West. And we just shed the car when we get down there.

However you do it, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:54 AM
don

I think that partly depends on what you want to do. Are you more interested in sightseeing or in laying back and relaxing. Personally, I really enjoyed the drive through the keys, but can't say that any of the keys hold that much interest to me and I really love Key West. I would rather be able to take my time and really enjoy Key West and all it has to offer.

Mar 12th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Viv

I love Key West so much I fly right into Key West! The rest is boring boring boring!

Mar 12th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Robert

I normally fly right into Key West, but on our last trip 3 weeks ago we flew into Miami and drove through the Keys...stopped in Islamorada for lunch at Lor-ra-Lei's and then continued our trip at a leisurely pace. We had rented a convertible mustang and really enjoyed the scenic ride down. A trip that normally takes about 4 hours I think we turned into 6 with our stops but, what the heck...we were on Key West time. I think the ride down is worth the expereince, just once....then get to Key West ASAP and have some fun.......not sure if it's worth spending the night over anywhere but Key West....
Lonepalm757

Mar 27th, 2002, 03:36 AM

top for dave

Mar 27th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Wendy

Friends and I just came back from the Keys, we stayed on Marathon and drove all over while we were there checking out different places. I would have to agree with the masses that if we ever return we would fly straight into KeyWest and stay there. You can always drive up to Middle Keys for a day if you really wanted to but it's pretty dull.

We drove from Ft. Lauderdale airport and to get to Marathon half way down with a stop for lunch took almost four hours.

Mar 27th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Susan

Fran,

Part of the fun is driving through the Keys and stopping to see what each island offers. In Key Large, there is a fabulous very romantic resort called Cheeca Lodge. You can get an ocean front room for about $200+ a night. But it is worth it. Quite and VERY romantic.

If you don't stay there, at least please check out the resort, im sure you won't be disapointed!!

Susan

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:02 PM
lalalala

If you want a leisurely drive, you'll definitely get it on the ways through the Keys. Sometimes the speed limit is 35 mph. It's mostly no passing zones and you are stuck behind the same long line of traffic all the way there. You have no choice. It wasn't a scenic, enjoyable drive with others driving right on ou butt eager to get down there. I hope you have better luck. That's how it was last June. Good luck

Mar 27th, 2002, 05:12 PM
blahblah

Cheeca Lodge is on Islamorada not Key Largo, or Key Large.