Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Stopover between Phoenix and Prescott, AZ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In December we're heading to Phoenix to visit friends and then driving up to Prescott to see still more friends. But I understand that the highway between the two cities is a bit dangerous: lots of speeders and trucks. We're thinking of breaking the trip into 2 segments to save on white knuckles; any recommendations for where to stop? Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 10:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure which route you refer to but the more winding drive would be the western route & maybe a way to avoid some traffic (google maps, Phoenix to Prescott to see 2 routes). The slightly shorter route & likely the more traveled is north up 17 & west on 69, only about 2 hours. About the only interesting stop for a breather that route would be at Arcosanti, architect Paolo Solari's project in the desert where they cast his very recognizable bells & wind chimes. https://arcosanti.org/
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion; sounds very interesting.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 09:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I have driven Rt 17 north from Phoenix many times and do not understand your categorizing it as “white knuckle.” It isn’t. Not at all.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 10:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
I have driven Rt 17 north from Phoenix many times and do not understand your categorizing it as “white knuckle.” It isn’t. Not at all.

I haven't driven it many times but have a couple of times and I totally agree. It is a pretty easy drive really - I certainly wouldn't break the journey anywhere. Do you stop over driving between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe?? About the same-o same-o

Last edited by janisj; Aug 13th, 2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Very reassuring. Thanks.
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 02:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Don’t stop between Phoenix and Prescott unless hungry, Rock Springs Cafe in Black Canyon has great pies.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Great pie sounds like an excellent reason to stop!
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 08:31 AM

Another vote for the pie! They have a Jack Daniels pecan pie that is decadently delicious. The first time we ever stopped there, it was small, antique-y, and not air conditioned. There was a chest refrigerator that you reached down into to get a soft drink. Hot, dusty, and dim inside. Really old-west looking. By the last time we visited, it's bigger, been refurbished, and air conditioned. Pie-making has really paid off, I guess.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 05:03 PM

The only problem with the drive is that it's two lanes that slow because they are slow cars and trucks making their way uphill. Just be careful, follow the posted speeds, and enjoy.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 05:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
I agree. My wife and I traveled I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff and back within the last 10 days. The first 15 miles north of Phoenix had some fairly heavy traffic. For a few miles we were in the HOV lane.
Another way would be to take Rt. 260 through Cottonwood to get on 89A.
I would be concerned that you might see snow on the highway above 5000 feet in December.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 06:42 PM

A neighbor and I were just talking about this tonight! She, a history buff, is not taking Route 60, but taking Route 17, and spending the night on a Dude Ranch in Wickenburg. She describes it as a small, gold rush era, historical town. I never heard of it, but the places she tends to stop at (as a former junior high school history teacher) make the most interesting Facebook posts!
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 12:35 PM

I haven't taken that exact route but I've driven between Phoenix and Flagstaff several times and there's nothing wrong on that route. I can't imagine they drive any differently on the highway twenty miles away.