Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Stop Over to Chicago : Which are "must" see in 24 hours ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:24 AM
Monica

Which are the "Must" to see to Chicago in only 24 hours and which is the perfect location where to stay between good-luxury hotel ?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:35 AM
Paul Rabe

You can't see all of Chicago's "must-sees" in only 24 hours, so you'll have to decide which you REALLY want to see.

Amongst the must sees are the Art Institute, Museum of Science and Industry, Museum of Natural History, Sears Tower, Brookfield Zoo, and Botanical Garden. Highly recommended (if these interest you) are the Billy Graham Museum of Evangelism, Lazzaro Museum of Lapidary Art, Vietnam War Museum, Bradford Exchange, Hemingway Museum, and Museum of Surgical Science. If a fan of John Belushi, make a quick stop to the Billy Goat Tavern.

I won't even get started on shopping, eating, and nightlife.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:14 AM
howard

Put the Art Institute at the top of your list. It's one of America's great museums.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:32 AM
Debbie

I agree-Chicago could never been done in 24 hours. I personally would get a centralized location downtown for hotel;try and take a sightseeing tour by bus for a general feel of the city or even the boat tour down the Chicago River. If you get a chance to go up in the Sears tower or Hancock for the view-its unbelievable! Best spot is out by the Shedd Aquarium and the Planetarium for one of the most beautiful skylines in the world!I would throw in dinner at one of our fabulous restaurants(whether its a deep dish pizza,ethnic,etc.) and then a ride down Michigan Avenue at night with the water tower that survived the fire lit up.Top museums are the Field Museum,Shedd Aquarium(which are right next to each other in museum campus area) Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry(which is further south and really could be a day by itself).Enjoy Chicago-it truly is one of the most fun cities in the world;clean,friendly with lots to do for everyone! Debbie

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:42 AM
Ess

If you like art, I second the Art Institute. It's one of my favorite museums. You didn't say when you're going to be in Chicago. I think the lakefront is the greatest thing about Chicago. If weather permits, you should definitely take a walk along it, or even rent a bicycle and ride along it. Everybody in Chicago seems to enjoy the lakefront. You see people bike riding, skating, running, walking their dogs, or just sitting and talking. It's a nice way to spend a morning or an afternoon and a glorious view. Chicago has such a beautiful skyline against the shore. I always get a thrill looking at it. If weather doesn't permit outdoor activities, Chicago has so much to do indoors. What are your interests? Dining? Art? Music?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:14 PM
patg

Take El downtown and stay at Hotel Burnham, corner of State St. and Washington. Get up early and walk around downtown. Buy tickets for an evening play or concert at Hot Tix, 78 W. Randolph (opens at 8:30 am). Head to Art Institute when it opens at 10. Tour and eat lunch here. Walk east to Shedd Aquarium on the lakefront and visit. (you can get a nice feel for the lake even if it is still cold outside). Or take the afternoon architecture tour from the Chicago Architecture Foundation, 220 S. Michigan (across from Art Institute). Go back to hotel, stopping at Marshall Field's store, which is across the street. Eat dinner at the hotel's Atwood Cafe and head out to your play. Stop by a club with late-night music afterwards.