Search

Where would you go?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:46 PM
Kelly

Where would you go?

My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary next year, and we're trying to pick some place special to spend a week or two, so I'm looking for advice.

Vital stats: Both 32, this will not be a budget trip (but still within reason--not flying first class, or spending $500 a night on a hotel), husband's not a big beach fan but he (and I) does like the thought of a cottage/hotel on the beach somewhere, neither of us like to shop, both like to explore the city and countryside, we bring our own romance, don't want to be crowded on the trip, not interested in a cruise, been to Ireland and the UK 64,000 times, don't want anything too touristy.

I realize that many of the suggestions will be for outside the U.S. I just wasn't sure to post this message.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:13 PM
Ellen

My vote is for Positano, Amalfi Coast, Italy, or Capri. If you don't go in the dead of July or August, it is not overcrowded. Lots to explore, but the beaches are poor (rocky). Rent a small motor boat and cruise down the coast, drop anchor and swim, anywhere. Couldn't be any more romantic. Food is great, lots of sightseeing - Capri, Church of San Michelle, Pompeii, and all the towns of Amalfi. If you have two weeks, spend one there, and move along to Rome or Florence. There is something about the wine...... : - )

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 06:41 PM
Brad

If you've been to the UK 64,000 times perhaps these will be "been there, done that" suggestions, but my favorite places which seem to fit your description are:

* Lake Como and/or Lake Lugano
* tour of the Swiss Alps/Berner Oberland (Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lucerne...)
* Tuscany's numerous small
towns/Siena/Florence
* Bavaria/Black Forest/Austria
* Greek Islands
* New Zealand
* Alaska
* Rio if it weren't for your aversion to crowds
* Botswana (you should check into this...an amazing experience)
* Denmark, Norway in summer

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:58 AM
Ess

If it were me, I'd choose a place that I'd be unlikely to visit any old time. Someplace off my usual beaten path (in my case the beaten path would be to Europe as I live on the east coast). With two weeks to spend, I would choose Alaska maybe, or the desert out west, or the Pacific northwest. Out of the country, maybe someplace in South America or Asia or Russia. My list is endless. I'll never get to visit all the places I want to see in one lifetime.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:10 AM
happy

Kelly:
A lovely, quaint, romantic B&B anywhere in New England. I'd spend a week in two different places, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont all get my vote.
Not necessarily by the ocean (i.e Vermont,) sometimes lakeside is just as wonderful. Have a Great trip.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:12 AM
Kelly

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd kind of been counting out Europe since we've spent a lot of time there, but now I'm reconsidering.

But at the moment, Alaska and New Zealand are at the top of the list. What about Tahiti or Mauritius?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:13 PM
Debbie

What about Hawaii? I would recommend staying on Kauai(sic) at the Hyatt. It's a gorgous hotel on the beach, but you have the option of touring all over the island. We also stayed at a B&B there and had some great meals there. I thought it was both romantic and fun when we went. Happy anniversary!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:15 PM
Debbie

What about Hawaii? I would recommend staying on Kauai(sic) at the Hyatt. It's a gorgous hotel on the beach, but you have the option of touring all over the island. We also stayed at a B&B there and had some great meals there. I thought it was both romantic and fun when we went. Happy anniversary!