Stomachaches while traveling??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem, and if so, what they do about it. On my honeymoon back in 2002, when we went to Hawaii, I got a terrible stomach pain about a week into the trip, which lasted for 2-3 days. I'd never felt anything like it. Since then, I've had the same thing when traveling to Italy, Puerto Vallarta, and Miami. I don't remember if I had it on my England/Scotland trip, but I wouldn't remember because I had terrible strep throat, so *that* is what I remember! In any event, it hardly ever happens on trips around mainland U.S. (except Miami). Every time, it is 4 or more days into the trip.It eventually goes away on its own within a couple to three days, but it makes those days hard because I am in pain. DH is a doctor and says that it is too generalized of a symptom for him to diagnose. He's thrown out that it could be the change in water, constipation (sorry, TMI), irritable bowel syndrome (but traveling only doesn't make sense), or any number of things! I wonder if it might be a change in time or food, or just pent up stress that comes on when I finally slow down. In any event I wonder if anyone else has this problem, and if so, what they do about it!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

PS-- I just returned from 6 nights in the Caymans. Last 2-3 days had it again!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:20 AM
GoTravel

Yes because whenever I fly the fear of starvation kicks in and I buy $20 worth of junk food from Hudson's News and eat it all on the plane.

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Your DH is a doctor - travels with you - and says he can't diagnose? Good luck finding an answer on a travel forum. My best guess would be nerves or stress.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM

There are some herbs which can help you. I am not a doctor, unfortunately a user and sufferer

For stomach pain (not the belly pain, but the stomach, upper belly where your rib cage divides in 2 parts) try Catnip pills or tea. Not easy to find, Google and mail-order.

To sooth your nerves, try St John's Wart.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Could it be gas? I find I get very gass-y when I fly.

Could also be stress. Ibuprofren (Motrin, Advil etc.)is an anti-inflamatory and might help.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I too seem to have some stomach issues while traveling. We were in San Francisco last year and the second day into the trip, we are walking through chinatown on a tour, and I just suddenly got overheated and vomited.(yes,that was fun to have everyone standing around you suddenly think you have the plague! Anyway, after that I was fine.
Two years ago, I got sick in Aruba several days into the trip (I attribute that to being a pig )
And lastly, Hawaii this spring, two days into the trip, terrible gas pains for about 24 hours. I haven't a clue why. I generally try to eat bland and stick to bottled water, but something triggers it anyway. Once I feel better, well I enjoy the food and drink.
Some people are sensitive to the change in water. I think that once your system adjusts, you are fine. My case in SF and Hawaii. Of course, Aruba I was just overeating and Iknow that. Funny though, my kids almost expect this from me now.
It is hard. Bring some gas-x and try to be careful. It could be you have just had bad luck.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:19 AM
GoTravel

Note to self: Never sit behind mclaurie on a plane.

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:21 AM

My stomach hurts when I travel, too. Flying and traveling are so stressful, that I am convinced it is stress and anxiety. An anti-diarrheal and a motion sickness pill make me feel better. The motion sickness medication really helps. Otherwise, I just try to manage the stress and "hang on" until I get to my destination with early flights, arrive early to te airport, bring my own food that I know I like and doesn't upset my stomach. Often, I bring a really good book or a pile of beautiful magazines and my own music - all work well to shut out the chaos.

Just know that you are not alone out there with stomach problems when you travel.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
JJ5

I had it when I was a lot younger until I learned to ONLY drink the water I brought with me- bottled. Some people are extremely sensitive to water changes- which in turn will change the bowel function.

And I don't always succeed but try to eat plainer, and not the more "fancy" gourmet etc. Yes, even in Europe and places where I would like to try some cheese or something. I always regret it if I give in.

Nerves can do a job too, but try for ONLY your own bottled water first. At least that will start to eliminate possible causes.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I had this happen once, which was just noticeable to me as I don't normally ever have stomach pain. It was on a trip to Paris of about three weeks, and my stomach was painful for several days at the beginning of the trip--maybe a full week.

It wasn't excruciating, but noticeable, and seemed unrelated to what I was eating, which wasn't that unusual. I've never had this any other trip. I just took Pepto Bismol and that helped a lot. I did not have diarrhea, but I find Pepto Bismol just sort of generally soothes an upset stomach in a variety of ways. I carry a couple packets of the chewable tablets whenever I travel.

I don't know what it was, it would be self-diagnosis, as I don't usually have those problems and that was not a particularly stressful trip for me compared to many others. I could speculate it was the water, as they do have a different mineral content in Paris than where I live (salts/magnesium, etc). It was not immediate or violent enough to be any real kind of food poisoning, bacteria or viral infection from an illness I just happened to get at the time.

Your symptoms sound pretty similar to mine, but I don't know what else you can do but take some medication that helps you in such situation. Why did your DH "throw out" the idea that it could be related to a change in water? It doesn't make any sense to me that it could be a change in food, but not a change in water.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:53 AM

GoT, the problem is after the flight, not during.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
GoTravel

Well thank goodness! LOL!

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM

But, does she fard during flights?
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
GoTravel

What's a fard?

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you drink only bottled water when you travel? That'd be the first thing I try, if you don't already.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM

GoT, here's the link on farding
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34882019
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

It has been kind of comforting to hear that other people have random traveling-related stomach pain. I'm definitely going to start with only drinking my own bottled water and see what happens from there!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Hi lukesaunt, I know many women that have the same problem you do, and obviously a lot of our dear Fodorites do also.

If you can obtain a brand of bottled water that your system is use to that agrees with you while travelling I think that would be of help. Not always possible of course. Water from a different area can cause stomach distress. A family member who lived in SF use to have problems everytime she was at Lake Tahoe and drank the tap water.

And often unusual food, overeating or undereating, eating at times different than your system is use to can bring on problems.

And stress..getting prepared for the trip, perhaps some worries, stress at the airport, sitting for a long time on a flight, jetlag etc can all cause stomach problems.

So do try to keep to a certain brand of bottled water if at all possible, try, again if possible, to eat as you do at home, getting all arrangements and packing for the trip done 48 hours before you leave home will no doubt help you. I find Advil Gel tablets work well..a suggestion from my doctor several years ago. If you need an antianxiety pill do talk to your doctor. I assume you have a doctor other than your husband, that is always strongly suggested. A family member stopped having stomach problem after her doctor have her a RX for flights. She just takes one for each flight and now loves travelling.

Best wishes to you with hope that some of the ideas here will help you and others have healthier trips!!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:57 PM

While I don't want to disagree with a doctor, I too wouldn't dismiss that it could be the water .....or the ice cubes ! My daughter had this problem, she was always careful about drinking only bottled water or sodas, The third time she was in St. Lucia and it happened on about day 3 and the wonderful gentlemen who was taking her and some friends around the island said to her "it's the ice cubes, you're asking for ice in your drinks, and it's probably the water." She stopped having ice right away and the pain went away in about a day - since then (this was about 6 yrs ago) she never even has the ice cubes when she travels and avoids foods like soup or dishes that would have "more water" in them than say, just being rinsed in the water, and she hasn't experienced the debilitating stomach pain again -
so you might want to stick to bottled anything and no ice and give that a try - and definitely bring along as one suggested some stomach aides whether herbal or pepto bismol or Gas-x, or even a script for 'nervous stomachs'

and to file under TMI : she also takes a ducoset tablet every other day....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -