Still such a thing as standby??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any experience with standby flying? I am booked on an NWA flight from Detroit to Tampa that arrives Tampa at 12:00 midnight. I'd be happy to get to airport early and try to switch to an earlier flight for a small standby fee. Is there any tips to doing this? Does anyone know if Northwest even does anything like this? Thanks for any advise you can give!
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not "standby" anymore, it's a little better...BUT, there is a charge. Same-day, they allow you to change to any flight that has seats available. There is a restriction on the time that you can do it, like 3 hours before your original flight or something like that...it varies between airlines. Do a search on "change" at the NWA.com site and their policy will be explained. Or call them.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 07:50 AM
J62

I know that several airlines allow 2 types of same-day changes.

1. guaranteed seat, same day change for a nominal fee ($25)

2. same day standby-free.

When flying on business I often have last minute meeting changes and will jump on the opportunity to get home early if I can. I call the airline the day before and ask them how open or full the flight is to get a feel whether I can just walk up and go standby or not. They can't guarantee you a seat if you don't pay, but a helpful agent can tell you if there are 2, 10, or more open seats on a particular flight.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Yes, it still exists, and I've gotten home early a couple of times that way in the last several months.

Last week, our scheduled flight was delayed by 2 hours so the Alaska Air agent at the desk put us on standby for two earlier flights (OAK-SEA). The first standby flight was at 5:15 and the next at 5:45.

We waited at the gate for the 5:15 flight but it arrived late, and didn't start boarding until past 5. The gate agent WOULD NOT let us know whether we were likely to be called or not, so my husband sprinted down to the gate for the 5:45 flight...a fair distance away. Lo and behold, we had already been called to board the later flight!

Luckily he was able to call me (we both had cell phones) so I was able to race down and claim boarding passes for the 5:45 flight. I sent an e-mail to Alaska describing the situation and was issued two $50 certificates toward future travel. I hope that gate agent hears from her supervisor!

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 10:22 AM
mma

My son has done the "same day, guaranteed seat" on NW for $25. I believe he has done it by phone and even online. Sometimes it has gotten him on the flight he really preferred but I didn't book because it cost quite a bit more money. So we both were very happy!